Paphiopedilum henryanum ‘EggPlant’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, oh, ah.. .I can't breathe! Or as they say in the ol'e folksong: "She cried, she sighed, she damn near died"!

Leslie, where on earth did you lay your hands on that glorious, gorgeous henry?!

I think I will self this one to get darker pouch and send pollen out to breeders (for them to create their novelty black crosses).

I see that you had a nice awarded henryanum, Howard. Maybe cross them together?

This a species I've never been a fan off. Except for the var christae.
But this one I like this one a hell of a lot

A new henryanum is opening now.

I’m impressed with how deep coloured the pouch is that I named him appropriately lol. Hopefully colours stay dark once fully matured. And shape flattens out.

View attachment 21589View attachment 21590
The form could be a little better but the colour is excellent and shows the influence of selective breeding. Selfing it is probably a good plan and might lead to the discovery of an even better clone or two. Look at John Mossman's selfing of Cattleya mossiae 'Julie': that lead to the appearance of the clone 'Antoni Alfieri' which is one of the best mossiae's for both colour and form ever found.

Nice oldie from long ago! I’m glad to see it around still. How did the hybrids come out?

The pouch on Eggplant is exceptional so I will self it and send pollen to Sam and Dave to continue this line.

Luckily the form has also dramatically improved.

I should rename this one to ‘JackPot’ lol.

Leslie, great color on this one. I have one with a very dark pouch as well (old post...'Slippery's henryanum' posted for me by Trithor)
You will find that the color on the pouch will lighten a little as the pouch expands but will still be darker than most by far. I have been
growing orchids for a long time but have never bothered with breeding until a friend talked me into it. So I crossed my best colored
with my best shaped henryanum and am hoping to finally see results as several of the larger seedlings will hopefully bloom this year.
Jerry

Last edited:
Leslie, great color in this one. I have one with a very dark pouch as well (old post...'Slippery's henryanum' posted for me by Trithor)
You will find that the color on the pouch will lighten a little as the pouch expands but will still be darker than most by far. I have been
growing orchids for a long time but have never bothered with breeding until a friend talked me into it. So I crossed my best colored
with my best shaped henryanum and am hoping to finally see results as several of the larger seedlings will hopefully bloom this year.
Jerry
Would love to see the parents you used? When are the F1 expected to come into blooming stage?

Latest posts

Back