paphiopedilum helenae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tai, thanks for the very informative and impressive photos and the video.
Seeing these tiny gem growing on rock only in crevises I'm wondering how do they get enough water but obviously they do and the moss they grow with together helps them to store moisture. On the other hand I'm wondering whether the mayority of growers seems to overestimate watering?

Lovely. I appreciate these insitu pics to learn how they grow.

Although they are lithophyte (rock growing) and seem to dry most of the days in dry season, the morning condensation wets the roots deep in the rocks. That why they can survive the dry season. In wet season, these rocks also drain water pools away. Perfect for them. From this, I learn they need perfect drainage media.

Last edited:
Tai, thanks for the very informative and impressive photos and the video.
Seeing these tiny gem growing on rock only in crevises I'm wondering how do they get enough water but obviously they do and the moss they grow with together helps them to store moisture. On the other hand I'm wondering whether the mayority of growers seems to overestimate watering?

most overestimate watering.

Thank you for the photos and videos. Great seeing the plants in natural habitat.
It would be a nice way to cultivate them. Any idea of the rock type? I have seen plants growing on tufa, that might work.

I’ve almost killed a number of these and then... I figured out they like to dry out a little more than most Paphs when they’re not growing. They do well with more water when they’re growing. I always wondered why the growers pot them up with larger size bark in smaller pots.

Latest posts

Back