Paphiopedilum helenae potting mix

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByeBye

Reaction score
I’m fairly new to Paph. growing , although I’ve been growing orchids for over 35 years now) and after a lot of research, I decided to focus mainly on Pahiopedilum helenae of which I currently have 4 plants of different sources now and 2 more coming next month.

I’m a sucker for small and miniature orchids and this one really caught my heart. Although I’m not really a Paph. lover.
I’ve done a lot of research and looked around the numerous posts here, I still have some questions
I’ve been growing a few Paph’s over the last 9 months or so and use my own media mix with good results so far.
Note, I grow in a home environment.

My Paph. mix:
- 2 parts of small-medium bark
- 1 part of coco husk
- 1 part of charcoal
- ½ part of perlite
- 1 part of coarse pumice
- ¼ of cut Synthic (artificial sphag. moss, made from recycled materials that’s very water absorbent)
- ¼ of large grade, hard-baked Akadama.

I fertilize with Akerne RainMix (optimized MSU fertilizer)

My question:
- Would this potting mix be OK for the helenae or do I go for a finer mix or what is suggested. I have not repotted my plants yet!

Further, If there are any members of this forum, from Europe, that have divisions of this species (any color form) for sale or to spare, please contact me at [email protected].
I’m very interested in collecting more of these plants in the future and possibly start propagating them.

Last edited:
To complicated. Bark and charcoal or bark and pumice or just bark. My mix has gotten more and more simple over time. Now I just use bark and clay balls. Sometimes a sprinkle a bit of sand. Use the various grades to change water holding capacity.
Trick is to grow them in small pots (roots a bit cramped)

To complicated. Bark and charcoal or bark and pumice or just bark. My mix has gotten more and more simple over time. Now I just use bark and clay balls. Sometimes a sprinkle a bit of sand. Use the various grades to change water holding capacity.
Trick is to grow them in small pots (roots a bit cramped)

Thanks, the tip about the small pot is really useful.

I use clean bark: larger pieces at the bottom, smaller ones at the top. Moss from the summer cottage on the surface. Sometimes I add dolomite flour, but I haven't done it for a long time. Apparently, there is enough calcium in the fertilizer.

Attachments

• IMG_20220424_121219.jpg
    IMG_20220424_121219.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 6
Back