Paphiopedilum helenae forma delicatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The helenae we know for years ( the "yellow" helenae) is coming from Cao Bang, close to the Chinese border. There is a very good type of micranthum coming from there too.

The helenae delicatum comes from Tuyen Quang province. The plants as a whole are usually larger than the "yellow" Cao Bang type. Many have been exported to China. Overall the plants are easier to collect than the ones from Cao Bang ( the former grows on stone firmly anchored, delicatum grows on moss cushions) and they look nearly like seed-grown plants immediately after collection, so they were favored by a couple of Chinese traders for a couple of years. That type usually has stronger growth habit, with slightly larger leaves than Cao Bang type.

The province of Yen Bai has the giant type of helenae, like a normal helenae, but up to 8 cm flowers and the leaves can be up to 25 cm. The shape however is not as good as the Cao Bang type, and the flowers are of a muddy brown color mostly with "some" yellow...

Only some of the plants from Cao Bang can compete to be the smallest paph species. The smallest paph species I have ever seen for sure is a colony of Paph. coccineum from Moc Chau, the plants always are 4 cm leafspan, 5 maximum ( and 3-4 cm flowers !!!). That is the red type of coccineum as well, with the nearly red flowers. I think when more material will be available, coccineum will prove to have at least one forma. There are 2 types too of coccineum, one with plants that are about the size of henryanum, and brownish flowers, one with smaller plants and red flowers...

Mystery Paph. ????

The original post was missing the last page of this plant description, I have pasted it below. It appears that a large number of helenae were shipped to China from Việt Nam, a plant bloomed differently and this was described as delicatum.
The author of the article indicates that he was told that the plants came from central Việt Nam but its common for collectors to give false information.:ninja:
I have not doubt that the plants came from Nth Việt Nam and possibly from Tuyên Quang as Sanderianum said.

I have been looking for this form for a number of years without luck. I have spent quite a few weeks in Tuyên Quang and have found reds, muddy brown and the usual coloured helenae but no delicatum.

The only pics I have seen of delicatum seem to be this same plant from different angles.

1) Has anyone seen any other pics of this form?
2) Are these plants in cultivation?
3) Does anyone have contact details for the author of the original article?

Regards, Mick

Attachments

• Paph del.jpg
    Paph del.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 27
The original post was missing the last page of this plant description, I have pasted it below. It appears that a large number of helenae were shipped to China from Việt Nam, a plant bloomed differently and this was described as delicatum.
The author of the article indicates that he was told that the plants came from central Việt Nam but its common for collectors to give false information.:ninja:
I have not doubt that the plants came from Nth Việt Nam and possibly from Tuyên Quang as Sanderianum said.

I have been looking for this form for a number of years without luck. I have spent quite a few weeks in Tuyên Quang and have found reds, muddy brown and the usual coloured helenae but no delicatum.

The only pics I have seen of delicatum seem to be this same plant from different angles.

1) Has anyone seen any other pics of this form?
2) Are these plants in cultivation?
3) Does anyone have contact details for the author of the original article?

Regards, Mick

As Xavier is back, I thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Regards, Mick

Zut alors, I have missed one!

Thanks for the bump Mick!

This plant is number one on my wife’s want list. I could score quite a few points if I came home with one of these but this plant is on my mystery Paph list.

Considering this plant was described based on plants found in a plant nursery, could this be a hybrid e.g. helenae x ? x helenae? Anyone like to comment on the shape of the pouch and the large synsepalum?

Regards, Mick

Very nice! I need to give mine more shade as your leaves are beautiful and green whereas mine are much lighter.

Latest posts

Back