Paphiopedilum hangianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Although I think this post is a bit early, I am too excited to keep waiting for the flower to open completely. I noticed the bud in August and been afraid to acknowledge it in fear it would blast. I bought this in 2016 as a seedling, and it is has produced its first flower, and I am smitten. If it continues to expand I will update the post.
20230209_143102.jpg20230209_143112.jpg20230209_143122.jpg

You ve done a good job in bring to flower from seedlings status! I think your patience has paid off. Seems to be a beautiful hangi!

Although I think this post is a bit early, I am too excited to keep waiting for the flower to open completely. I noticed the bud in August and been afraid to acknowledge it in fear it would blast. I bought this in 2016 as a seedling, and it is has produced its first flower, and I am smitten. If it continues to expand I will update the post.
View attachment 38349View attachment 38350View attachment 38351
Holy god what an achievement. Stunning plant — thank you for the whole-plant photos!!!! — stunning flower. Your mix intrigues me; looks like pure seedling fir bark; any additives? I have been adding limestone and pumice to mine. Yours also looks fresh and pristine; when did you last repot? I’d be terrified to repot a budded hangianum but…maybe that’s just the ticket?

Congrats, it's stunning! Please post some updated pictures when it's fully expanded!

Holy god what an achievement. Stunning plant — thank you for the whole-plant photos!!!! — stunning flower. Your mix intrigues me; looks like pure seedling fir bark; any additives? I have been adding limestone and pumice to mine. Yours also looks fresh and pristine; when did you last repot? I’d be terrified to repot a budded hangianum but…maybe that’s just the ticket?
The mix is heavy on the bark but there is oyster shells and perlite included. It was repotted in August, so the mix is fairly fresh. The bud was just setting in August when I was ready to repot it. After going back and forth, I assumed the bud would blast and decided to repot it anyway. It and the other parvis stayed outside until the nights consistently dipped into the 40s.

Not a ton of change yet...
20230212_120959~2.jpg

Back