Paphiopedilum hangianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you sent these pics to popow and asked him? That would be my first move.

I sent the pictures to the nursery where I bought the plant from. I am waiting for their reply (they do not work during the weekend).

I posted a link to Popow's website, because it is the only picture of "Red" hangianum I know. The plant however is not from him, as I do not buy from him at all anymore: VERY bad experience with his plants (quality and ID), and the last time I contacted him the only answer I received were insults! (I was questioning the sudden price increase of a plant that was cheaper when I placed the order). So, he is now banned from my list of vendors.

it has multiple flowers so it likely has something from cochlopetalum or coryopedilum in it

well, it has two flowers, which can be possible in hangianum two. Normally one flower, rarely two.

anything CAN be possible. i'd say 2 flowered hangi's are very rare

just another picture I have found ofa very dark hangianum. This would also suggest that the dark coloration in my plant can also have its origin in the hangianum parent.

just another picture I have found ofa very dark hangianum. This would also suggest that the dark coloration in my plant can also have its origin in the hangianum parent.

I agree. Some hangianums are really dark. I think baodai's avatar has two hangianums in it...one very dark and the other very yellow.

At first sight I was thinking at a Primary x hang.
Probably (roth x cochlo) x hang.
Also if the patern is really micranthum like not said that there is micranthum inside.
The flower form is really cochlo x hang like,and a roth parentage inside the cochlo can justifie the colouring and patern.But a cross like Vanguard x hangianum I will expect a different result.

Another choice will be (multy x brachy) x hang
I've seen some multy x brachy with nearly plane green leaves.The added hangianum will be the reason of the enhanced green leaves possibility.
So can also be something like (roth x leucochilum) x hang.

Also can be,as previously said a Paph Alexej with a very nice form.This can be also possible cause there are a lot of this cross around and selling easily cause have nearly always a bad shape.
The plant itself is really Alexej like...and those hybrids are reeeely variable in shape colour and dimension...so...

Still a nice one to keep...is very nice.

Double flower hang is really "a white fly"...is easyer to find an albino one!!!

A characteristic of this flower that is a clue to the parents is the tips of the petals that are hooked...

Valenzino, thanks a lot for your input. Do you really think this could be an Alexej? I have not seen many Alexej yet, but all of them had really bad shape...

as for the hooked tip of the petals, I would not put much attention on it with this particular flower. I am almost sure it is more the result of them not opening freely at the beginning (the bud needed some help to open)... Let's see in the next flowers whether this thread is stable or just an artifact...

that is not the result of them not opening freely. it is genetic. i have seen it time and time again around here and abroad on hangi crosses with other subgenera, including brachypetalum

hhhmm.. I mean, I have 5 other hangianum hybrids, and none of them has those "hooked" petals... In this plant I just have seen the problems with the flower, so I assumed that was the reason... as I said, time will say...

as an extra comment... I have just received Olaf Gruss' opinion about this plant: "I have some problems with the determination of your plant. The colour is correct (for Paph Alexej) but the shape is different, perhaps it is a cross with a primary hybrid."

before I started reading this thread I thought to myself farrieanum x hangianum due to the resemblance to Jade Dragon.

I am very disappointed that there is no proper label. this is a good flower and not seen often

Back