Paphiopedilum gratrixianum.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperPaph

Reaction score
My Paphiopedilum gratrixianum is very diferent to all those I have seen, where spots in vertical lines are the standard phenotype. Can anybody explain me please?

Attachments

• IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 36
In agreement with others above, I’m seeing a hybrid. Guessing villosum annamense and...someone better can guess the other parent(s). I can’t find any photos at hand of gratrixianum that looks at all like this. It’s pretty though. Once again, it boggles my mind that mycologists have managed to create a publicly available DNA sequencing system for thousands of species, whereas orchidists with all the money in the trade can’t manage it. 💅🏻

GuRu, did you look at the images in that link of linebred plants? There is no big difference between those flowers and the one above. Even the staminodes are the same.

Tyrone, of couse I had a look at th flower in your link before I wrote my statement. And even now after reading your response I wouldn't change it. O.k. the shape of the staminode is similar (as far as you can see it in the photo). The staminodes of P. gratrixianum, villosum and insigne are at least similar. The rest of the flowers distiguishs in my eyes, such as flower morphology, geometry, colouration of the whole flower etc.. In my eyes it's a hybrid, can't say which, maybe in between a primary hybrid and a complex hybrid but closer to the complex one.

Last edited:
Back