Paphiopedilum Grand Paradise

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the first time blooming this Paphiopedilum Grand Paradise (bellatulum x Jennifer Reinoso). Bellatulum is heavily represented in the flower shape and stance. I am hoping it opens just a tad more as it matures.
20230207_182838.jpg20230207_182849.jpg

........Bellatulum is heavily represented in the flower shape and stance. I am hoping it opens just a tad more as it matures.....
Darlene, as you wrote P. bellatulum is heavily represented and cupped or hooded flowers are often a trait of P. bellatulum. So your wish might stay a wish.

I've always loved that group of paphs., however I've had a hard time keeping roots of them. Still working on it. I'm not one to give up easily.
Do you add calcium? Cal-Mag? Every time I think mine are looking sulky I dose them with oyster shell or Cal-Mag, in tandem. Plus KelPak a few times in March, April or so. Before it gets warm.

I've always loved that group of paphs., however I've had a hard time keeping roots of them. Still working on it. I'm not one to give up easily.
Do you add calcium? Cal-Mag? Every time I think mine are looking sulky I dose them with oyster shell or Cal-Mag, in tandem. Plus KelPak a few times in March
Darlene, as you wrote P. bellatulum is heavily represented and cupped or hooded flowers are often a trait of P. bellatulum. So your wish might stay a wish.
Agreed. P. bellatulum is supposed to be cupped, and pendulous, as befits its preferred steep and relentlessly rainy native habitat. It should be bred, if at all, toward ease of flowering, floriferousness and spots variations, not that dull daisy-flat nonsense.

I don't want or expect flat by any means. However there are degrees of cupped which may change with maturity. Plus the spot variation on this particular clone is not particularly special to me. Meanwhile I like the clone picture on Paph Paradise' site. It's the fun of seedlings. You never know what you will get.

20230217_112029.jpg

Do you add calcium? Cal-Mag? Every time I think mine are looking sulky I dose them with oyster shell or Cal-Mag, in tandem. Plus KelPak a few times in March, April or so. Before it gets warm.
Bruch - that seems to be a questionable regimen, in my mind.
Plants need a steady supply of calcium as they grow. It is one of the few (only?) minerals that is not easily transferred to new tissues from old - once it has been absorbed, it gets physically incorporated in the structure and is fairly immobile. (It is also my understanding the oyster shell is quite insoluble in all but extremely acidic solutions, so don't bother with it.)

Why do you only apply Kelpak a few times in Spring, and what's with the "before it gets warm" thing?

Latest posts

Back