Paphiopedilum godefroyae var. ang thong

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lori.b

Reaction score
B9E0762C-DA29-4E30-88E8-ED0C55BA664C.jpeg
Hi everyone,
I got this little cutie in bud a couple months ago and here it is blooming. The name tag says it is godefroyae var. ang thong. I wanted to confirm that it is actually godroyae var. ang thong but couldn't find much information on it so thought I'd go to the "experts". It differs from my Paph. godefroyae in that the godefroyae has a solid white pouch and this one is spotted. Your thoughts please?

First of all Lori, the normal form of Paph. godefroyae doesn't have a solid white pouch but a spotted one. The one with a pure white pouch is Paph. godefroyae var. leucochilum. Paph godefroyae var. ang-thong / Paph. godefroyae var. ang-thong is an accepted name of a local variety which is originated at the peninsula Ang-Thong of Thailand. I couldn't find out much more i.e. not much information about the different features between the species and its variety. Anyway, yours is definitely a nice flower and at any rate Paph. godefroyae........var. ang-thong or not??

Last edited:
Thank you very much Rudolf. That is helpful information that I was not aware of. I don't have var. leucochilum (or at least I thought I didn't!) but it looks like I need to change the name on at least one of my plant labels. I'm happy with my godefroyae, ang-thong or not. Thanks again :)

I'm (again! 😉) with Rudolf all the way...

In distinguishing between godefroyae and leucochillum Braem actually takes Cribb to task for in his huge monography on The Genus Paphiopedilun to misinterprete/mistranslate the original description of godefroyae to have an unspotted pouch (as the germans say: "Hier irrt Goethe!").

Godefroyaes have spotted lips, whilst leucochillums have all unspotted pouches (on the outside, that is). The taxonomix status of leucochillum on the other hand seems to wary, depending on which botanist you consult: some have it as only a colour form of godefroyae, some as a variety of same, others again consider it a legitimate species in its own right. For horticultural purposes either would probably do, but for hybridization.

Ang-thong seems to be a more complex issue, as Rudolf indicates: some speculates that these plants in their original habitat have a hybridic background (i.e. they are the natural hybrid P. x ang.thong), others consider them conspecific with godefroyae. Beside the fact that they originate from the island of Ang-Thong, I can't recall to have read a description, that made it clear to me, how they distinguish from the other two members of "the godefroyae complex"?!

I wonder, whether some of our learned friends in these pages can provide us with some usefull information in this respect?

Thank you Jens, much appreciated. I'd be curious to see photographs of other godefroyae var. ang-thongs other growers may have for comparison.

I follow the Thai growers still saying it is a natural hybrid between P. niveum and P. godefroyae.

I am still waiting for flowers from collected plants , the Photo is from a seedling , blooming since September.

2020-09P.xAng-Thong.jpg

Latest posts

Back