Paphiopedilum glanduliferum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paphjoint

THis plant is labeled praestans - but according to Cribb there's no such thing as praestans -- so glanduliferum is ok with me too -- don't think the plant cares.

Paphiopedilum%20glanduliferum1.jpg

Paphiopedilum%20glanduliferum2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic clone Uri!! Didn't I read somewhere on one of these posts that Cribb no longer works for the RHS? I wouldn't change the tag just yet;)

Rick H

i disagree and think that this is a little different from the type glanduliferum. wilhelminae is supposed to be a bit different also but i have never seen a true wilhelminae. gardineri seems to be much more similar to glanduliferum than this praestans. my praestans are morphologically different than my glanduliferums and gardineri's..btw, beautiful flowers..

Is my monitor screwed up, or the 1st photo altered!? :confused: I have a plant I bought as glanduliferum and so many people chirped in that I still don't know exactly what it is! :crazy: So, I'll continue to call it what the vendor, who should know what it is, labeled it.

Is my monitor screwed up, or the 1st photo altered!? :confused: I have a plant I bought as glanduliferum and so many people chirped in that I still don't know exactly what it is! :crazy: So, I'll continue to call it what the vendor, who should know what it is, labeled it.
How do you think it is altered?

That's a very nice one of the form that was sold as bodegomii some years ago ( 10-15?). In the trade there were praestans ( with green leaves), praestans red leaves ( with the leaves nearly completely red burgundy), and the bodegomii with some red at the base and a big pouch ( like yours).

I will take a pic of wilhelminiae, it exists, and is about the size of paph helenae when it blooms. As for glanduliferum, they arsupposed to come from Obi Islands only, may be a geographic variant or a completely new species. No one ever went again to that place so far, but it is quite far from the PNG islands where the "praestans" are found, so we cannot rule out that it is really a distinct species. The painting shows a white ovary if I remember correctly, found tody only in gigantifolum and sanderianum for the multiflols ( and supposedly as well in elliottianum...). The other problem ons encounters with taxonomists is that some of them are so far from reality. Phil Cribb was sure for several years that paph armeniacum was a variety of delenatii... And I heard that actually some hangianum appeared in the early 90's, that were deemed by a very famous taxonomists to be an abnormal form of emersonii. For me, as long as no one is willing to go to Obi, I will be sure that glanduliferum is a lost species. Blume, when he provided localities for many of his plants, was perfectly accurate. So I am sure that there is something on Obi island, remains to see if it is a praestans or something else...

I will take a pic of wilhelminiae, it exists, and is about the size of paph helenae when it blooms. As for glanduliferum, they arsupposed to come from Obi Islands only, may be a geographic variant or a completely new species. No one ever went again to that place so far, but it is quite far from the PNG islands where the "praestans" are found, so we cannot rule out that it is really a distinct species.

I think when he refers to wilhelm "not existing" he's referring to Jo Levey's and Dr. Garay's comment that "true" wilhelm does not exist in any USA collections, and all plants considered as wilhelm are actually gardeneri (which I think I read is the species obtained from Obi or some other obscure Island source around PNG). Dr. Garay's main descriptor for wilhelm is that the petals are flat and not twisted. I have yet to see any mature flower from this complex that did not have spiral twisted petals, so I don't think a flower of Garay's description exists (except in a museum).

I think when he refers to wilhelm "not existing" he's referring to Jo Levey's and Dr. Garay's comment that "true" wilhelm does not exist in any USA collections, and all plants considered as wilhelm are actually gardeneri (which I think I read is the species obtained from Obi or some other obscure Island source around PNG). Dr. Garay's main descriptor for wilhelm is that the petals are flat and not twisted. I have yet to see any mature flower from this complex that did not have spiral twisted petals, so I don't think a flower of Garay's description exists (except in a museum).

No, for Obi island I was discussing glanduliferum, which to my mind is definitely something different ( slightly, or heavily). Another disturbing thing is that apparently according to Blume notes it is epiphytic ( like lowii...), check the painting ( very beautiful one) in the Rumphia...

wilhelminiae, I have seen some praestans plants with straight, untwisted petals, an no warts in a private collection in Surabaya 2 years ago... so definitely it can exist. I have 2 plants in spike of wilhelminiae ( supposedly) that are 10 cm leafspan, not even, and very clumpy.

No, for Obi island I was discussing glanduliferum, which to my mind is definitely something different ( slightly, or heavily). Another disturbing thing is that apparently according to Blume notes it is epiphytic ( like lowii...), check the painting ( very beautiful one) in the Rumphia...

wilhelminiae, I have seen some praestans plants with straight, untwisted petals, an no warts in a private collection in Surabaya 2 years ago... so definitely it can exist. I have 2 plants in spike of wilhelminiae ( supposedly) that are 10 cm leafspan, not even, and very clumpy.

Do you know the source of your wilhelminiae (supposedly)? I think over all plant size and staminode shape are the keys rather than petal twisting. My wilhelm are very clumpy and have 15cm leafspan. They have bloomed on smaller growths too, but they do have twisted petals like the "wilhelms" in Cribb's book.

exquisite, very beautiful

I know there are multiple schools of thought around praestans, glanduliferum & wilhelminiae. Also the other 'nomen nudum' bodegomii, and gardnerii

I can't even begin to tell you who is right. I am inclined to follow what ever the latest publication from Braem says on the subject. But that may be biased by the fact that I enjoy having a beer with Guido any time he comes through town. ;) seriously, I think Dr. Braem, more so than most of the others has a good grasp of the genus and most of his decisions include bio-geography in the process.

Latest posts

Back