Paphiopedilum Franz Glanz

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Paphiopedilum Franz Glanz (emersonii x armeniacum)

I got this plant as a bargain a few years ago. At the time, it was a 2 or 3 growth plant. The plant was healthy, but I suspect grown "hard", meaning too much light, too little water, and not enough food (or at least nitrogen). The leaves were very stiff, narrow, elongated, and yellowish. The roots were alive, but only 1 or 2 active root tips, and looking a bit desiccated.

When I asked how much for the plant, the price I was given was about 1/2 (or or less) of the answer I was expecting. I did not hesitate for a multigrowth plant of this incredible hybrid.

I got it home, got it into new mix and just let it do its thing in my care. The growths all started throwing out flushes of new leaves. Dark, luscious green leaves. Wider, shorter and more supple leaves than before. Over time, most of the old leaves have dropped off. Then last winter, it got my hopes up and threw out a spike -- it popped up and then stopped growing. But it was months of watching before the bud turned brown.

Then this year I've been trying not to jinx it, and success is mine. I was rewarded with a fantastic little flower. Actually, there's another bud behind this one, so it might even be bifloral!

The flower is actually much smaller than I had anticipated, but what it lacks in size, it really makes up for in color. This is lemon pie. The pouch is a striking and contrasting brighter yellow, and "dem spots". The shape is really wonderful, too. It's almost like a good quality delenatii, if you could get a flavum version.

I'm very glad I get to enjoy it. If I had my way though, I would have liked to see a bigger flower and some fragrance. Additionally, the spike is very weak, so it absolutely required staking. I don't have any other paphs like that, so I found it a tad unusual.

And now it's time for some photos of Paphiopedilum delenatii fma. flavum. I mean, Paphiopedilum Franz Glanz.

QntN4evl.jpg

aQV3utql.jpg

HTZng9bl.jpg

As per usual, there's a bluish cast from the tubes, but even so, I think you get a good sense of how spectacular the color is. And yellow being my thing, I love it.

I love yellow flowers and this one has a more balanced shape than armeniacum does (I know I'm pretty much alone to think this, but I like being different). Wonderful story to go with it, too. Great growing. :D

I love yellow flowers and this one has a more balanced shape than armeniacum does (I know I'm pretty much alone to think this, but I like being different). Wonderful story to go with it, too. Great growing. :D

I understand completely. Now, I honestly love funky shaped paphs, but there's something about a more modest and refined look that I enjoy about Franz Glanz.

I was looking at it tonight and still noticing changes in it. The petals have lightened a bit, and they are delicately recurved. The lip hasn't really expanded, but the color appears to have intensified slightly. The petals and the lip contrast a little more now.

Also, and you guys are probably going to think I'm making this up, it has developed some fragrance. You have to have a good nose to detect it, because it's faint. It smells like one of the lighter cut grass notes that I picked up in the fragrance of other parvies before.

I hope we get to see another photo as the bloom matures.

It's been open up long enough that I think this is its final form. The petals have recurved even more, but it's still within acceptable range.

I took a bunch of pics, but I think this one best captures the color and shape.

JSJ7fB9l.jpg

This is, to me, a really stunning hybrid. I'm glad I've got others (young seedlings) to look forward to as well.

Latest posts

Back