Paphiopedilum Franz Glanz 'Ole Floppy'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Paphiopedilum emersonii x armeniacum

This is the first P. Franz Glanz I acquired. I know big floppy flowers aren't everyone's taste, but I love them. I also don't think my photography skills really capture the charm of this flower, but so be it. Big flowers on a small plant, hard to beat that. Throw in the vibrant yellow pouch and it's a winner in my book. I love the freckles on the petals near the staminode and the fuzz. It's very faintly fragrant from mid-morning to early afternoon, but it's hardly worth mentioning.

vaYoMKTl.jpg

SXGc19Jl.jpg

U4Y75lul.jpg

lWBlVzVl.jpg

Full Album

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
I grow the parvies a tad bright, though I'm experimenting with keeping them a little shadier. These grow indoors on shelves under 4 foot shop lights with LED replacement bulbs. They stay around 4 - 8 inches from the bulbs.

My temperatures are pretty typical, a little cooler in winter, a little warmer in summer but mostly between 60F and 80F, give or take. This plant is in a rockwool based mix, though I've got other FGs that are in bark/orchiata mixes. They grow year round and have active roots most of the time so I generally water on a regular schedule year round, they don't get a particularly cool or dry rest. I keep these situated where they get good air flow, since I've had issues in the past with rot, so I may be watering too much or at the wrong time. Humidity is generally in the 50% - 60% range, sometimes higher, sometimes a bit lower (especially in winter).