Paphiopedilum fowliei fm. christianae Family Portrait

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leslie, great to see such lovely flowers of this pretty species in perfect conditions. 👌 Seems on the first sight they all are a dead ringer for beauty.

Last edited:
Your blooms are beautiful! I am so envious! I watched my young plant develop a bud for a few weeks, then it started going yellow, progressed to brown and I removed it. There’s a second bud on this stem, will it do the same thing? Should I remove it as well?

Your blooms are beautiful! I am so envious! I watched my young plant develop a bud for a few weeks, then it started going yellow, progressed to brown and I removed it. There’s a second bud on this stem, will it do the same thing? Should I remove it as well?
Thanks for all the lovely comments.

Justin, if the second bud develops normally, just leave it on. I find that watering well is essential in Paph bud development.

Thanks for all the lovely comments.

Justin, if the second bud develops normally, just leave it on. I find that watering well is essential in Paph bud development.
Leslie, the bud on my fowliei blasted last year - and I’m still waiting for a new one to form this year. How do you water and how often? Do they need a period od dryness in between? It looks like you’re growing them indoors.

Leslie, the bud on my fowliei blasted last year - and I’m still waiting for a new one to form this year. How do you water and how often? Do they need a period od dryness in between? It looks like you’re growing them indoors.
I grow them warm under lights and water twice a week. They get about 800 fc and in a mix of perlite and bark (1:2 ratio) and a touch of charcoal. I top with moss at base.

I find they like open mix and dry slightly between watering.

How many hrs. are plants under the lights? Can too much light, either brightness or time period have a detrimental effect on plants?

How many hrs. are plants under the lights? Can too much light, either brightness or time period have a detrimental effect on plants?
It’s 12 hours in winter and 14 in summer.
I find that paphs are not that particular about timing. They are sensitive to too much light esp the mottled leaves. MFs love much more light I find.

Latest posts

Back