Paphiopedilum esquirolei var. chiwuanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lars Pedersen

Hi

Just wanted to share my Paphiopedilum esquirolei var. chiwuanum

or Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum var. chiwuanum depending who you follow :)

It is not a good picture, but it is the one I have right now.

:)
Lars

foto_1.jpg

For clarification, there is a longer explanation in this title:

https://www.facebook.com/PaphiopedilumBraem
or
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33220

That plant looks absolutely miserable. Terrible. Ugh. Poor thing.
Send it to me. I'll fix it :)

Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That plant looks absolutely miserable. Terrible. Ugh. Poor thing.
Send it to me. I'll fix it :)

Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes last year it cheated me with only one flower:sob:

.... so we had a talk, and she responded beautifully :clap:

Lars

Beautifully grown and bloomed plant. Tell more about your book. I'd love
to hear more about it.

Hi

Thanks! you give me an opportunity to promote "my" book.
I only published it, I did not write it.

It is a brand new complete monograph, on the genus Paphiopedilum.

I would love to tell you a lot more about it, but in order not to have my bud kicked I think I have to link to a thread about the book :eek::

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33220

But you are very welcome to e-mail me for more info.

..... and that goes for all of you ;)

Kind regards
Lars

Hey Lars, beautifully grown and flowered. You say hirsutissimum var. chiwuanum but offer no proof that it is chiwuanum. What are the flower measurements? Isn't the chiwuanum variety really small compare to the others?

I believe in Lars, has a similar one, labelled chiwuanum which is the same size. Actually you can see its much smaller than esquirolei and hirsutissimum. Not familiar with the flowers though, looks a bit similar to hirsutissimum to me? Mine will probably bloom soon so lets see then. Only one bud though.....

Hi

I just measured the flowers. 11 cm from tip to tip.

I don't know :)

They are small compared to others I have seen.

Lars

In 'the book' Dr. Braem seems reluctant in his acceptance of Paph. esquirolei var. chiwuanum. He paraphrases Averyanov's (1997) description of Paph hirsutissimum var. chiwuanum as saying that every population of hirsutissimum and esquiriolei studied has some smaller flowered (7-8cm) plants with nearly flat to slightly undulate petals, fewer shorter hairs, smaller leaves, flowering earlier (March). I'll just add that it seems to me those could be immature plants or that all the differences could be related to a single gene with pleiotropic effects. Dr. Braem's doubt about small plants with small flowers in every population of 2 species (or varieties), blooming within the early range of the species is understandable. But he does accept it.

The one picture of Paph esquirolei var. chiwuanum in 'the book' appears nearly identical to pictures of Paph Frank Zettle (henryanum x hisrutissimum) posted here by Gilda in 2010. Unlike this picture that really just looks like hirsutissimum/esquirolei, and we can't judge size or really compare hairiness.

No criticism of Lars or 'the book' in any of this, just observation that taxonomy is a messy business sometimes.

Latest posts

Back