Paphiopedilum emersonii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paph Paradise

SlipperTalk Vendor
Reaction score
I lost my best one a few years ago when it got too much water over the winter. This first time bloomer will do nicely! A few more siblings are in bud so hopefully there is at least one more keeper among them.
Dave

Attachments

• emersonii 'Chablis'.jpg
    emersonii 'Chablis'.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 45
Leslie: just a single growth with a 6" leaf span. A couple larger, 3 growth siblings blasted buds that formed earlier in the winter. We had a really warm February and they didn't like it.

SliperKing: not my cross, they came from Holger Perner a few years back. Probably 6 years from flask. They are really slow when they are small plants.

Happypaphy7: there is a fragrance but it was faint when it had just opened. Maybe stronger now.

Thanks Dave.

As it turns out, I found more emersoniis than I thought I had. Good surprise lol.

They are also 7", 8", 9" and 11" respectively... bigger than what I thought …. but none in bud. Perhaps I should cool them down? They are all at the warm night section with 22C nights all year. It's my 2nd year growing them and have never bloomed one.

Thanks Dave.

As it turns out, I found more emersoniis than I thought I had. Good surprise lol.

They are also 7", 8", 9" and 11" respectively... bigger than what I thought …. but none in bud. Perhaps I should cool them down? They are all at the warm night section with 22C nights all year. It's my 2nd year growing them and have never bloomed one.

Their natural habitat in the winter they not only has cool nights, but cool days. Winter nights are about 10 C and winter days max out around 16 C. We give them nights around 14 C and days can be in the 20's C when it's sunny. Winters are also pretty dry in situ, which is why my awarded plant died from heavy winter watering. I had left it with a friend during a move and he gave it too much TLC.

Dave

Then indeed I’m growing mine too warm in winter. But as you see from pic that they are still relatively growing like nothing is bothering them lol. I’ll put them in the cooler section this week and see what happens. They must be BS size with those leaf spans.

9DB2D7AF-A704-4787-BB54-59469CFC7862.jpeg 4327AB6B-B19A-458A-A942-5C64AB70FF2A.jpeg

Impressive flower Dave, nice symmetry. As seedlings do you still give them a cool, dry winter rest? If no, at which point do you do? I have a couple of compots of this species that seem to enjoy the bottom heat mat (for now at least).

Healthy looking plants Leslie. They look well cultured.

Impressive flower Dave, nice symmetry. As seedlings do you still give them a cool, dry winter rest? If no, at which point do you do? I have a couple of compots of this species that seem to enjoy the bottom heat mat (for now at least).

Healthy looking plants Leslie. They look well cultured.

We give all of our seedlings bottom heat until they hit 2" pots, then they join the rest of the plants in the greenhouse to fend for themselves. Younger plants are kept in the warmer parts of the nursery. Those that prefer cooler winters are moved to cooler areas once they are mature.

Dave

We give all of our seedlings bottom heat until they hit 2" pots, then they join the rest of the plants in the greenhouse to fend for themselves. Younger plants are kept in the warmer parts of the nursery. Those that prefer cooler winters are moved to cooler areas once they are mature.

Dave
Thanks Dave, just one more followup question: when you say "all" do you mean all? Are there some paph (or even phrag) sp. that prefer cooler temps even as seedlings?

Oops two questions :).

Thanks Dave, just one more followup question: when you say "all" do you mean all? Are there some paph (or even phrag) sp. that prefer cooler temps even as seedlings?

Oops two questions :).

We have routinely put anything that comes out of flask on heat mats. Since most of our deflasking is done in the spring and summer, the heat mats aren't really on much. Most Phrags grow so fast that they are into individual pots by fall and off the heat mats.
Phrag besseae compots were not kept on heat mats over the winter. Also Paph fairrieanum, but they were well established seedlings that we just didn't get into individual pots before fall.
I can't think of any species that would be hurt by a little bottom heat in compot. The mats are only set to 20 C so it's not exactly hot.

Dave

We have routinely put anything that comes out of flask on heat mats. Since most of our deflasking is done in the spring and summer, the heat mats aren't really on much. Most Phrags grow so fast that they are into individual pots by fall and off the heat mats.
Phrag besseae compots were not kept on heat mats over the winter. Also Paph fairrieanum, but they were well established seedlings that we just didn't get into individual pots before fall.
I can't think of any species that would be hurt by a little bottom heat in compot. The mats are only set to 20 C so it's not exactly hot.

Dave
Thanks again Dave, I ask because I've found my malipoense and phrag kovachii-bessiei compots did not appear to like the bottom heat. However there could have been other factors involved. Sorry did not mean to deviate the topic away from your admirable photos!

Latest posts

Back