Paphiopedilum emersonii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great Paph!
Unfortunately I killed mine some time ago... has it special requirements?

great Paph!
Unfortunately I killed mine some time ago... has it special requirements?

I don't have a ton of experience with this species, and I'm sure Mr. Canh can speak with more authority on this subject, but overwhelmingly the information I'm seeing and hearing is yes, P. emersonii has special requirements compared to most other cultivated Paphs.

Most important is that it is provided with a rest period of several months (i.e. winter rest) with somewhat cooler temperatures and very limited watering. If you water too often or if the roots stay wet too long, it will be prone to rot and disease. As long as your humidity is decent, it's better to let the roots dry out significantly than to water a bit too much. The cooler temperatures should still be well above freezing, and I wouldn't push it too much, but from personal experience, it can handle temperatures into the low 40 F (4.5 C) range. I doubt its necessary to get it that cool, though, and you have to make sure it stays very dry at that temperature level.

If you don't provide the plant with a yearly rest, you may find that it will eventually peter out and, for lack of a better concept, die from exhaustion.

I hope that eventually we'll see some clones and breeding lines that do better with warmer and wetter conditions (since that's easiest for me to provide) or with less strict rest requirements, but P. emersonii tends to be slow to grow and mature, so I suspect that limits how quickly line breeding can improve its adaptability to less ideal conditions.

@mrhappyrotter
Thanks a lot for your info.
Probably there lies the problem, I'm growing in my livingroom and so low temperatures are nearly impossible. Maybe I also overwatered it, for my watering habits are perfect for multiflowered paphs.

Back