paphiopedilum druryi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful! That is one I cannot manage to bloom. It grows very slowly for me and never bloomed in 8 years :mad::( . Any advice on cultural conditions ?

I’ve read on here some time ago that it grows best when treated like a cattleya. High light and dried out between watering. Not you typical paph conditions! Maybe there was something about a winter rest as well.
David

Catt conditions? Has anyone tried growing this s/h?
I recently put two in f/w/c as an experiment. If either begin to look unhappy I shall put them straight back into bark. It has only been two weeks so there is nothing to report other than having to top up regularly for the new roots. Next week I am going to use filtered pond water in one with pond weed on top for the new roots.

Beautiful! That is one I cannot manage to bloom. It grows very slowly for me and never bloomed in 8 years :mad::( . Any advice on cultural conditions ?
This plant comes from the south of India and has been found growing on small islets within rivers, i.e. surrounded by water. It only makes sense that it likes very warm, humid conditions and bright light. It grows brighter than most other paphs and should not be allowed to dry out severely at any time. With the right conditions it is a vigorous grower. Hope this helps.

My three plants grow wet next to my cattleyas with cool nights and warm days but still no blooms. One is larger than the other two.
340D0BD8-37EB-4E11-99F6-0F1A8ED90F35.jpeg
Plant in middle is the largest at about 13 inch leavespan from tip to tip. Other two behind on sides are about 8-9 inches.

I’m stumped lol.

Setaylien is right. They do grow quite warm and wet in South India. Perhaps they may need even higher light than I give.

Additional information from Lance Birk's The Paphiopedilum Grower's Manual - in brief it's wet summers and dry winters:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-SchVmsS/0/090c03a5/O/i-SchVmsS.jpg

Confirmed this in conversations with Verghese (Peter) Mammen many years ago.
Interesting. Thanks for link. I have Birk’s 2nd education plus Crib, Braeme, Koopowitz, etc etc as well. Follow everyone of them too.

I have tried the warm summers and cool dry winters (high light), but to no avail. I guess they will bloom with growths that are much older (about 3 years old).

Latest posts

Back