Paphiopedilum Dora Crashaw

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got five of these from Tenshin orchids of Hung Sheng orchid breeders. All were in low bud. E3D0184B-AC22-4C18-B978-F19CBEACBBFF.jpeg This is the best shaped one (albeit the second to bloom; rest is still budding). Cross is charlesworthii x bellatulum. Good potential and waiting anxiously for the rest to open in a few weeks.

Thanks OzPaph. I hope the other two in bud will be darker. I have seen pics where the dorsal is dark red. I donated the first one away to my society auction and the third blasted. So I have two of five still yet to open their blooms.

A third plant of the five just opened. Colours look darker, especially the brown (vs pink) petals. This is the one to keep for now. I have another one bud opening on 4th plant. Unfortunately the 5th plant blasted the bud.

C8304237-1D6C-42C4-9DC0-AEAD2DC6E788.jpeg

I am the same as you Jens... species rule for me... but the occasional potential colorful offsprings intrigues me, so I dive in! Five times lol...luckily number 3 is nice enough to keep. Number 2 will go to a good friend who adores it. Number one was auctioned off 2 weeks ago for charity. Everyone wins!

Number 2 will go to a good friend who adores it. Number one was auctioned off 2 weeks ago for charity. Everyone wins!

OMG! You even make it so much harder to hate you! ;)

No, honestly, as well as I can recognize a good flower, when I see one, I can also appreciate gracious generosity in a fellow human being - well thought, well done!

Best of regards,
Jens

Yes Tom is right. I stand corrected.

Dora Crawshaw was registered in 1900!! And since then, no AOS recognition! Maybe with newer colorful species available now we can expect better cultivars to appear.

This thread is such a great example of why one has to acquire many seedling examples of a particular grex. I need that reminder after having many tries and the crosses being so consistent I feel like I've wasted money for no reason.

Sometimes a little research and knowledge helps in the decision to get a test group. I’ve always loved the way bellatulums spread the spots along the petals (like Rolfei) and how charlesworthiis deepens with their deep pink colours (esp the dorsal sepals like King Charles). So when I saw the parentage of this, I was piqued to see what would be the outcome when two dominant genes collide. I’m usually a species nut. But will get hybrids that will offer qualities that neither parents have. And such was the case here.

Latest posts

Back