Paphiopedilum Dolliroth

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hilmar Doll’s Royal Orchids nursery in Germany may be most well known for Paphiopedilum Dollgoldi, which is (rothschildianum x armeniacum) registered by Doll in 1988. Doll’s nursery was also dominant in breeding with Paphiopedilum henryanum, so it was natural that they would produce (henryanum x rothschildianum). They registered this hybrid as Paphiopedilum Dolliroth in 1992.

Orchids Limited was not able to find images of Dolliroth so they remade the cross in 2008 with two excellent forms of the species. Eight years later I was simply lucky to be the first to bloom a plant from the cross. The plant and flower were an even mixture of the two species. This past April was the third blooming of the plant and the first time with two growths flowering, each with two flowers. The natural horizontal spread of the flower is 15.5.
Dolliroth.jpeg
As I have learned to grow the plant better I have hope that 3 flowers might be able to form on a spike.

Very nice outcom I have 3 plants from OL. What did you improve with you culture to have this results?

There are no registered immediate offspring of Dolliroth. The pouch color is very nice. As a 50:50 mix of the species, maybe this plant doesn’t attract people who want large or those who want smaller plants. It is stuck in the middle without a fan club. My culture is with LED lighting and has been with 100% Growstones as a potting mix for the last two years. I water frequently with low concentrations of fertilizer and make sure that Ca, Mg, and trace elements are always available. The leaf color became solidly green. The current plant has at least 3 good sized new growths.

There are no registered immediate offspring of Dolliroth. The pouch color is very nice. As a 50:50 mix of the species, maybe this plant doesn’t attract people who want large or those who want smaller plants. It is stuck in the middle without a fan club. My culture is with LED lighting and has been with 100% Growstones as a potting mix for the last two years. I water frequently with low concentrations of fertilizer and make sure that Ca, Mg, and trace elements are always available. The leaf color became solidly green. The current plant has at least 3 good sized new growths.
Thank you we close in cultural process, my leaves too are green now

This is a nice example how the strong pink colour from henryanum's pouch passes on to its hybrids. In fact, it's the only species that does this (other than the natural hybrids from henryanum like x herrmanii etc).

Nice and interesting hybrid and when the photo shows the colours of the flower exactly, very colourfull. Saying this, because the leaves in the photo are either over-exposured or otherwise not true coloured.

You are correct about the lighting. This picture was taken with LED lights above the plant. The LED light spectrum itself influences the coloring. But, looking just at the flower, the balance of colors in the petals and in the pouch are about what the eye sees in more natural light. When it is warm enough outside, I try and get pictures in natural lighting, but for many of my plants I am stuck with what LED lights above can provide.

Latest posts

Back