Paphiopedilum delenatii with 3 flowers on one inflorescence

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plants are really huge. These were the result of inline-breeding. Only Paph. delenatii were involved.
He is an excellent cultivator.
The plants are not in trade. Perhaps it will be possible to buy flasks of in the next years.

In respect to judging, such traits as floriferousness and flower size can be awarded more points (considered an improvement). This doesn’t mean that normal diploid plants won’t be awarded some of those points, just not as high
But why is it okay to judge a plant that underwent chromosome doubling as a species but not okay to judge a plant as a species that was a result of outcrossing and then backcross?

Sorry to keep hounding this message, I just get the impression that once you cross two different species (which the definition is sometimes obscure in-of-itself) there's no going back to introgress valuable traits into the species germpool for improvements. Or another way to look at it: [[[[P. adductum x P. anitum]]] x P. anitum]] x P. anitum] x P. anitum] can never be judge as P. anitum. How does this make sense? Of course this is a hyperbole just to illustrate the point.

But why is it okay to judge a plant that underwent chromosome doubling as a species but not okay to judge a plant as a species that was a result of outcrossing and then backcross?

Sorry to keep hounding this message, I just get the impression that once you cross two different species (which the definition is sometimes obscure in-of-itself) there's no going back to introgress valuable traits into the species germpool for improvements. Or another way to look at it: [[[[P. adductum x P. anitum]]] x P. anitum]] x P. anitum] x P. anitum] can never be judge as P. anitum. How does this make sense? Of course this is a hyperbole just to illustrate the point.
Because a pure species, diploid or polyploid was used in this big delenatii line.

If a contamination into the huge delenatii was suspected, for example with vietnamense (detected by presence of red tones in the different shaped staminode), it won’t be judged as pure delenatii.

Here is one of my delenatii`s and I think it has pretty broad leaves. I don`t know if you can see it from the pictures, but they are 6+ cm wide (2+"). I don`t think I haven`t ever had a delenatii with this big leaves. I got last year one that should have big flowers, but it had flowered last spring before I got it, so must wait until next time to see if it`s true.

Those plants with three flowers are beautiful. They have good, strong colours, and the form and plants are great too. 😍

20230208_141114.jpg20230208_141114.jpg20230208_141114.jpg

Here is one of my delenatii`s and I think it has pretty broad leaves. I don`t know if you can see it from the pictures, but they are 6+ cm wide (2+"). I don`t think I haven`t ever had a delenatii with this big leaves. I got last year one that should have big flowers, but it had flowered last spring before I got it, so must wait until next time to see if it`s true.

Those plants with three flowers are beautiful. They have good, strong colours, and the form and plants are great too. 😍

View attachment 38320View attachment 38320View attachment 38320
Love your plants and those are for sure big leaves but I think the triple fella beats those.

My first two delenatii, a standard form, were also very large compared to the regular size. But the flowers on them were about the average at 9cm across.
I wonder how big those flowers are since the information isn't given.
Some of the delenatii in the US is at 13cm which is huge!! I have not seen how big the plants are, but I prefer to have smaller plants with larger flowers.
And personally, I like a single flower or double on this species, although a stable three-flowered clone might prove useful in remaking hybrids like Delrosi but with a higher flower count.

Last edited:
One of my standard delenatii is a smaller plant, atleast with narrower leaves. It was sold by saing 'Big', which I understood with bigger flower/flowers. I can't say anything yet, because, it had flowered already, when I got it. Then I don't know why, but alarmingly the flowered shoot started first with just one leaf turned yellow. Then suddenly the hole shoot turned brown. It's usually not a good sign if the plant wilts so fast, but the new shoot was good, no sign of any stress, so even it was December (I have never before replanted anything in the darkest time of the year.) I replanted it. All the roots were healthy, not even one had died. At the same time I saw, that it had started to make two new shoots more. Now two months later, it's doing just fine and continues to grow.
Sorry, it got a bit long story now.

Latest posts

Back