Paphiopedilum delenatii with 3 flowers on one inflorescence

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORG

Reaction score
Through targeted selection and breeding, it has been possible to breed Paphiopedilum delenatii plants that develop 3 flowers on one inflorescence and open at the same time. The breeder Burhard Gralher in Germany is now trying to stabilise and possibly increase this multiflorosity through further breeding steps.
Olaf

Paphio_delenatii 3 Bl-1.jpg

Are two-three flowers per stem a natural occurrence for this species?

Just curious if they would be allowed for judging of this species.

Very nice flowers and plants though!

and, is it possible to get one of them? i am n germany, and if someone might be able to provide contact details for Burkhard it would be greatly appreciated!

Are two-three flowers per stem a natural occurrence for this species?

Just curious if they would be allowed for judging of this species.

Very nice flowers and plants though!

Two flowers are somewhat common, this is the first time I've seen three. Improving on the norm would not disqualify them, judging is all about rewarding improvements in size, color, and floriferousness.

Two flowers are somewhat common, this is the first time I've seen three. Improving on the norm would not disqualify them, judging is all about rewarding improvements in size, color, and floriferousness.
I guess I question what the norm should be.

Burhard most likely improved the trait through selection and breeding within pool. However, hypothetically, let's say he was able to achieve the same results by crossing outside delantii, then backcrossed n generations while selecting for form and 3 flowers-trait, would anyone know the difference? The results are the same: improvements in size, color, etc.

I'm not a big fan of this double standard and would suggest that the current system encourages people to be dishonest about the breeding background to get rewards.

Again, not suggesting anything fishy about the example here, those are amazing plants (and my guess the 3 flower-trait is more attributed to the general health of the plant and excellent horticultural skills than simple gene inheritance). Just speaking more philosophically about species and line improvements as a whole.

The plants look bigger than any delenatiis I have ever seen. Perhaps through selective breeding, it has been line bred for polyploidy. Thus imparting this ability for 3 possibly even 4 flowers.

In respect to judging, such traits as floriferousness and flower size can be awarded more points (considered an improvement). This doesn’t mean that normal diploid plants won’t be awarded some of those points, just not as high.

You are seeing lens distortion and an illusion of perspective, people.
No we are not. I’m used to that. Check the leaves in proportion to the pot. Check them against his hands. They’re legit HUGE. I don’t know if it’s polyploidy or just normal genetics and spectacular care, potions or magic, or maybe he somehow found a secret new population where this trait is de rigueur. I will always find drastic “improvements” suspect. If it’s real, won’t he be sibbing these plants and sending flasks around?

Back