Paphiopedilum delenatii alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it’s as big as it’s going to get on this one dan first bloom... NS - 9cm. I believe that’s pretty good for an album.

I think it’s as big as it’s going to get on this one dan first bloom... NS - 9cm. I believe that’s pretty good for an album.

Would you at all be interested in exchanging pollinia? I have a second bloom on mine that is ready to open this weekend, and am interested in doing an outcross for eventual flasking.

- Stefan

Would you at all be interested in exchanging pollinia? I have a second bloom on mine that is ready to open this weekend, and am interested in doing an outcross for eventual flasking.

- Stefan
Hello Stefan
I already used the pollen from this particular plant. I have a couple normal color delenatii in bud. If you’re interested in using pollen from one of them send me a message.

Hi i have a del alba flowering. Its been flowing for past couple of weeks so don't know how viable the pollen still is but can send you if interested. See my other posts here for the pictures, I think it is the same parentage as Phreds.

Hi i have a del alba flowering. Its been flowing for past couple of weeks so don't know how viable the pollen still is but can send you if interested. See my other posts here for the pictures, I think it is the same parentage as Phreds.

Hi, thanks for your reply! I don’t think the age should matter too much. I wiuld love to try! The flower just opened today.

Pollen on a flower matures as the flower ages. In my opinion you should breed a flower sooner to give as much time for the development of seed and use the pollen from a flower later... when you can.

Pollen on a flower matures as the flower ages. In my opinion you should breed a flower sooner to give as much time for the development of seed and use the pollen from a flower later... when you can.

My thoughts exactly! Ive even harvested viable pollen from dried/dead flowers, but Ive noticed the receptivity of the stigmatic surface is much more finnicky, as to be expected.

I have used pollen from flowers that dried up and had fallen off also... it does work sometimes. I’ve had friends offer me pollen from a flower but bring me the dried flower instead of the pollen only. The pollen is no good when they put the flower in a plastic bag. The little bit of moisture is enough to cause the pollen to go bad.
Has anyone ever removed pollen from a bred flower and used it on another?

I have used pollen from flowers that dried up and had fallen off also... it does work sometimes. I’ve had friends offer me pollen from a flower but bring me the dried flower instead of the pollen only. The pollen is no good when they put the flower in a plastic bag. The little bit of moisture is enough to cause the pollen to go bad.
Has anyone ever removed pollen from a bred flower and used it on another?

I had the same idea, with a Polychilos phalaenopsis flower I pollinated, and once I noticed the flower faded without accepting the pollen (no swelling or elongation), I figured I should just take it out and use it on another flower (It was a rare color form of a hard to find species) but the column wings had still slightly closed around the stigma, and i figured the pollen was no good anyway, as I had stored it in the fridge for a couple months (usually has remained viable for others).

I had the same idea, with a Polychilos phalaenopsis flower I pollinated, and once I noticed the flower faded without accepting the pollen (no swelling or elongation), I figured I should just take it out and use it on another flower (It was a rare color form of a hard to find species) but the column wings had still slightly closed around the stigma, and i figured the pollen was no good anyway, as I had stored it in the fridge for a couple months (usually has remained viable for others).
I’ve only tried it with Paphiopedilum which is what I mostly breed. I do breed Cattleya walkeriana and have also breed a few Dendrobium and Phalaenopsis. I would imagine it would be harder to recover the pollen from these... on a Paphiopedilum it’s right there and easy to gently scrape off.

I’ve only tried it with Paphiopedilum which is what I mostly breed. I do breed Cattleya walkeriana and have also breed a few Dendrobium and Phalaenopsis. I would imagine it would be harder to recover the pollen from these... on a Paphiopedilum it’s right there and easy to gently scrape off.

Exactly! Definitely more challenging in Epidendroids, especially since the pollen seems to almost fuse, and become part of the stigma in Cattleya and others without wings, or is alternatly enveloped by the rostellum in Zygopetalinae. My Pleione did something even more sinister, because the entire column, in front of the capsule, just withers and dries starting at the tip (where the pollinia go) and that can happen before any positive signs of acceptance are noted.

Exactly! Definitely more challenging in Epidendroids, especially since the pollen seems to almost fuse, and become part of the stigma in Cattleya and others without wings, or is alternatly enveloped by the rostellum in Zygopetalinae. My Pleione did something even more sinister, because the entire column, in front of the capsule, just withers and dries starting at the tip (where the pollinia go) and that can happen before any positive signs of acceptance are noted.
I’ve got a bunch of Pleione spiking now. The lab didn’t do well with the one cross that I did make. I might try again with these.

For some reason I can’t seem to message you, but if youre in the US, I’d love to try out some of your pollinia, and want to send my address in a secure way somehow.

Latest posts

Back