Paphiopedilum culture on inert media

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the above is the biggest problem with neutral media - there is nothing organic to consume extra fertilizer, so it's very easy to overdo it. I think I'll drop K-Lite to 5 ppm N and see if they improve.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. When I 1st started with S/H in expanded clay pellets, I thought I needed to fertilize more, as there was no nutrients in the media. Then I learnt that actually, most organic medias provide very little nutrients, and thought maybe the micro organisms in them help sap some of the fertiliser away, acting as a sort of buffer.

Since then they've been watering with rain water, and feed lightly maybe once a month. It's easy to see which plants have been overfed, the algae colonies explode, and the roots seem to stunt.

I can't call my typical mix entirely inert, but most of my plants are grown in a rockwool, sponge rock, hydroton and medium charcoal based mix. Then, depending on the plant, I may or may not mix in small amounts of oyster shell, egg shell, fir bark and/or sphagnum.

With a mix like this, I no longer need to repot as often and overall it seems like my plants are doing better. They grow better, have more extensive root systems and they bloom more often. Part of that is simply the fact that as I become more experienced, I'm better at growing. And the better I am at growing, the bigger and robust the plants get.

As far as why inert potting mixes aren't more common, well probably nobody would know for sure. I can make some guesses. Part of it is probably tradition. There's a long history of bark and moss mixes, and if people have good success with it, there's no need to change. It also seems like price might be a factor. Even though you may have to repot less often when you use an inert mix, when you look at the price of a bag of bark/moss that many people can go to a local shop to buy, versus the cost of a bag of sponge rock, LECA, rockwool, etc that you have to order online or drive to special shops to get, the bark is just cheaper. Long term, that may not be true, when you consider how much more often you need to repot, but that probably isn't a consideration for many folks.

I started last year potting my plants to repot into a mix of seramis/ akadamia/ kanuma, mainly paphs! After 1 year I go back to bark using Orchiata because most of the plants did not respond well: in general no new growths, even signs of decline! Of course this might be because my watering regime was still oriented to bark-based mixes whereas watering of the seramis... mix should be more frequent! The danger of using different mixes in a collection!!

An exception to everything: I have a Iantha Stage in bloom with 3 flowers and 2 starters in Seramis ... :) !! Jean

Thanks all for your responses.
@JeanLux Is your Iantha Stage in Seramis alone? Is it the fine or the coarse Seramis... because it exist two granulometry.

Latest posts

Back