Paphiopedilum concolor

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
This was a mix-up from Popow originally purchased as concolor 'Yellow' x hangianum, but obviously it was an accidental selfing. They were very gracious about the mistake.

I can't say there's anything terribly special about it, but I figured I'd share. It blooms regularly, multiple times a year. I've grown it in a small pot so it's perpetually root bound, perhaps that's why?

The flowers are fragrant, but I find the fragrance to be unpleasant. It's a mixture of apple peel and vomit.

u1Q3mtDl.jpg

44u0h1sl.jpg

bLqRiOyl.jpg

RnDWp8ll.jpg

Album

It's a lot nicer than mine. The smell you can keep though :D

I remember awhile back when I found out P. concolor is fragrant, the research I did suggested it smelled like apples. I'm a sucker for fragrant flowers, and apple fragrance sounds irresistible. I've now got 2 different clones of this species, and because the scent is so gross, I'm not even sure I like Paph. concolor anymore.

And this is coming from someone who likes to smell Bulbophyllums and Stapeliads just for fun.

Don't think mine is fragant - just ugly.
It looks like its mother had something going on with a cactus.
This was the absolutely best pout of the 8 flowers it had last summer. The rest had much more of those spikes in the lip.
43792997982_c6bbae7862_c.jpg

It does have good color, though, and I like the way the central dots roughly form a dividing line in the petals. I agree, I'm not a fan of toothy pouches, and if it happens consistently, then I'd be concerned it's a genetic thing or irreconcilable differences with my growing conditions.

I bought it with spikes, so I'm sure it's genetic. It grows well, so I hope it'll flower again this year - then I'll see if it happens again.

Latest posts

Back