Paphiopedilum concolor fma. Striatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phred

Reaction score
This is another Paphiopedilum that strikes controversy. I have several of these and I believe they are distinctly different from all of my ‘regular’ concolor. If anything, these look more like Paph concolor longipetalum (josianae) than they do regular Paph concolor. Paph concolor striatum and Paph concolor longipetalum (josianae) have much thicker leaves than Paph concolor and the leaves are a lot darker green... much like a leucochilum. The underside of the leaves are also very dark. I keep this group separate from my Paph concolor on the chance that they decide in the future they are distinct... what ever that may turn out to be.
9F2731A8-264D-402B-B106-FEE4DF1D5E7A.jpeg

06B97C9C-C38D-446A-9221-C4C966B238AF.jpeg

554AB6B9-C71E-4824-B8CF-B0CA0D02FBF3.jpeg

59B258CB-0705-4D8D-800B-F6771F42D186.jpeg

This is another Paphiopedilum that strikes controversy. I have several of these and I believe they are distinctly different from all of my ‘regular’ concolor. If anything, these look more like Paph concolor longipetalum (josianae) than they do regular Paph concolor. Paph concolor striatum and Paph concolor longipetalum (josianae) have much thicker leaves than Paph concolor and the leaves are a lot darker green... much like a leucochilum. The underside of the leaves are also very dark. I keep this group separate from my Paph concolor on the chance that they decide in the future they are distinct... what ever that may turn out to be.
View attachment 28244

View attachment 28243

View attachment 28245

View attachment 28246
Was told by my thai friends this form of concolor is from the Kanchanaburi province of Thailand and their surrounding areas as well as along the Thai-Burmese borders.

They classifying it as a form of concolor for now but yes agree with you on the difference.

Nice specimen you got there ❤️

Phred, first of all I like your flower, it's very pretty. 👍
Secondly I don't grow this forma of Paph. concolor, but Paph. concolor and Paph. concolor var. longipetalum. My personal opinion is that your plant is in my eyes within the range of Paph. concolor, so name it as fma. striatum would be correct. Paph. concolor var. longipetalum differs quite more in the shape of the flowers as well as the thickness of the leaves form a usual Paph. concolor, so consider it as a species could be an option....but for example KEW Science consider it at the moment as Paph. concolor var. longipetalum .

Hi Phred

Is the plant in your pictures in flower now? I ask as mine (1st flowering) has just come into flower in the southern hemisphere and I'm trying to figure out if its confused (I received it about a year ago from Germany) or the species has a long flowering period.

I'm glad to see the red flush on the back of your flower, as I thought mine had caught too much summer sun.
Paph concolor striatum 20221128_122807.jpg

Kind regards

JL

My error... I see now it's an old post that has been revived... dated June 2021... So, our plants would be in sync as early summer flowerers.

JL

Latest posts

Back