Paphiopedilum coccineum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gideon

Here is a lovely little Paph coccineum

TRO_Paph_cocc_1.jpg

Looks great! I hope these are available in the USA soon. I need more compact growing plants :)

- Matt

Gideon said:
Here is a lovely little Paph coccineum

TRO_Paph_cocc_1.jpg
Gideon, I still can not tell the differences in these barbigerium, herrmannii & coccineum.

According to Cribb, coccineum IS barbigerum, barbigerum v. lockii. P. hermannii is now accepted, by most people, I think, as a hybrid of henryanum and hirsutissimum or barbigerum or helenae.....I forget which. I've only seen photos of it...has ripplier petals than barbigerum....Take care, Eric

Eric Muehlbauer said:
According to Cribb, coccineum IS barbigerum, barbigerum v. lockii. P. hermannii is now accepted, by most people, I think, as a hybrid of henryanum and hirsutissimum or barbigerum or helenae.....I forget which. I've only seen photos of it...has ripplier petals than barbigerum....Take care, Eric
Eric does it not that the photo above shows the flower with wavy petals, so hermanii is even more wavy than that?

very nice ... mine is not as dark on the dorsal as yours but I still like it. Mine grows faster than my henryanum and if this vigour is a characteristic of this species it is bound to become a popular form of barbigerum for breeding mini paphs.
Thanks for sharing,
Tim

Hien- yes, in pictures I have seen, hermannii has more rippled petals. But again, I have never seen it in real life, so I am only going from memory of photos I have seen. Also, the photos of coccineum resemble P. vejvarutianum and rhizomatosum, but these are much larger plants than barbigerum. Take care, Eric

I've seen allot of photos of hermanii and they are quite variable in "ruffling". I have seen one in real life too. The high degree of variability is another reason its thought to be a hybrid.

There is not as much red in a hermanii flower, its got allot more pale green in the background, and its a bigger plant than barbigerum and its varieties.

There was a recent article in OD or Orchids (I think Orchids) by Averyanov on natural hybrids of paphs. Should be some good pics of hermanii in it.

I really want one of these when we can have them here in the US! I've heard it listed as a var., but maybe that's not really sorted out yet. I love the darker flashier colors!

Eric & Rick
I did look it up in the March issue of Orchids (thanks)
However the author concluded that some plants that grouped in the herrmannii complex are crosses between
hirsutissimum and the flollowing:
-barbigerium
-tranlienianum
-henryanum.
What I wish for is a collection of 20 or so photos all shown together.
1) with the coccineum pointing out, with the fine point details of what setting it apart from herrmannii.
2) all variations of herrmannii together, with example of which one is a cross w/ barbigerium, which one w/ tranlienianum, and so on.
That will really impressed me. Because if all the plants are not sorted out correctly, all the hybrids registration mean nothing and really are just a joke.

Yeah that is a rare one, I haven't seen it for sale anywhere here.....cool and interesting.

Bolero said:
Yeah that is a rare one, I haven't seen it for sale anywhere here.....cool and interesting.
If you have not seen it for sale anywhere where you are (Anywhere in the world outside of The land of the Free) then overhere, we surely will not even see it in our dream state bardo.:sob:

Back