Paphiopedilum coccineum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love it!

Does anyone know if this is a variety of barbigerum or a species in its own right? I have a plant from Spencer Howard Orchid Imports that I bought many years ago that looks a lot like this but was sold to me as barbigerum.

It's amazing that Spencer Howard could even recognize a paph. I only made one purchase from him. It was supposed to be Paph Leeanum. The plant had pale, mottled leaves.......and was heavily infested with mealy bugs. I contacted him, and he replied that the plant was "authenticated by Dr. Fowlie." (Shows how long ago that was....) When it bloomed a year later, it was clearly a form of callosum, probably sublaeve. Had really great, intense color....and a godawful shape.

I really like these ... even the way the dorsal refexes I like. I killed mine, but it wasn't a patch on this for colour.

Love it!

Does anyone know if this is a variety of barbigerum or a species in its own right? I have a plant from Spencer Howard Orchid Imports that I bought many years ago that looks a lot like this but was sold to me as barbigerum.

According to the kew database it's an accepted name.
According to theplantlist.org it's a synonym for barbigerum

I've also seen it written as barbigerum var. coccineum.

So in the end it just depends on if your a lumper or a splitter.

Latest posts

Back