• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Paphiopedilum Chiu Hua Dancer Needs A NEW HOME

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bonsaiorchid1

PAPH. CHIU HUA DANCER NEEDS A NEW HOME FAST!!!

-HELP SAVE THIS PAPHIOPEDILUM CHIU HUA DANCER

$40 for the plant
$20 for shipping
for the math wises= $60 total

-I bought this paphiopedilum chiu hua dancer a little while ago when it was in spike. I am offering it as is. The plant has received some sun damage and and I have trimmed off the dead leaves to prevent infection. The plant only has three leaves now with an old spike. Before the massive heat wave we had here in Vegas, this plant was all green, healthy, with big flowers which had very long petals; around 9 inches long. I have to sell this plant because I can't see it get any sicker, if anyone knows that they can bring this plant back and give it a good home, then please don't think twice about purchasing this plant. The plant needs a new home and fast. It is just going to keep getting burned out here. I am so sad to see it go, but this is all I can do. If you have any questions please ask me through PM or post! If pics don't show up, please PM me your email and I will send you pics! Thank you.

Just an observation from afar: $60 sounds to be a bit much for a one "sick" growth plant with 3 damaged leaves. I think a photo posted here might help your cause.

You are right, 60 bucks does sound like a lot. But the pictures of the flowers when it was healthy will shock you. They are simply amazing. I know it is sick, but if it does recover, it is going to be on heck of a plant!!!

Healthy Pictures

ATT_1435434855851_20150607_180757_zpslemotgot.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

it looks like it is pretty far gone to be honest. not something i would feel good about asking money for.

It must be very difficult to grow orchids in a greenhouse where you live. do you have a swamp cooler or something that can provide evaporative cooling & humidity? Or do you have an option to create an indoor growing space? If you want to grow paphs you might think about setting up an indoor lightstand inside where it is cool and maybe a humidifier near the plants. good luck!

I agree with with everyone who commented on the price & plant condition!It would be very hard to revive it in this condition to force a new growth as the vigor has really been sapped from the once blooming growth.

Sorry to say it; but, that plant isn't worth a dime. I wouldn't even pay for 1/2 the shipping cost if you gave the plant to me for free. It's as good as dead already; but, the "body" just hasn't lost all it's colour yet. It's in a downward spiral that would likely be impossible to stop unless a miracle happened. You waited too long to decide it wasn't working for you. Too bad.

You seem to have figured out that the issue was excessive heat; so, learn from your loss and try again, reducing the amount of heat and sun any new plants get. Also, don't get so busy that you can't water them when they NEED it. If you have time to water only on the weekends, and the plants need watering 3 times a week, this sort of result is what you are guaranteed to get. If you want to be a Paph "grower", not a Paph "consumer", you must care for the plant properly and provide your time and effort when the plant needs it, not when it is convenient for you. The plants won't adapt to your needs, you must adapt to theirs to be successful.

You did start with a beautiful, healthy plant and with a little more effort, you should be able to maintain Paphs in good health in the Vegas area. These strap leafed Paphs do like it very warm; but, not scorching hot and not low humidity, or direct sunshine.

I can understand your disappointment and desire to somehow make this right; but, you can't do that by assigning an unrealistic value to the plant. Even if you found a buyer, that doesn't mean that things aren't so bad; it just means you found someone who is inexperienced and doesn't recognise that this plant is too far gone. If you feel bad now, don't compound that by taking money from someone who is inexperienced and doesn't realize that his plant is not likely salvageable......and passing on the problem (the likely final gasp of this plant), on to that person. If you're an ethical person, you'll just feel worse about yourself. Either give it to an experienced grower just in case there is enough life left that it could make a comeback and bloom again after a number of years in recovery; or, keep it and try to make use of it as a learning exercise for yourself....to make you a better grower and help you do better with future plants that you acquire.

There isn't anybody here on this forum who is an experienced grower that hasn't had a plant go downhill like that, for various reasons. But, I bet nobody else has tried to sell a plant in such poor condition....especially for $60. There is nothing about this plant now that can justify asking for any amount of money for it. Sorry. Good luck with your efforts at getting it to recover. If there is any chance it might recover, we will help you along the way, if you're interested in receiving the benefit of our collective advice.

Last edited:
Sorry to say it; but, that plant isn't worth a dime. I wouldn't even pay for 1/2 the shipping cost if you gave the plant to me for free. It's as good as dead already; but, the "body" just hasn't lost all it's colour yet. It's in a downward spiral that would likely be impossible to stop unless a miracle happened. You waited too long to decide it wasn't working for you. Too bad.

You seem to have figured out that the issue was excessive heat; so, learn from your loss and try again, reducing the amount of heat and sun any new plants get. Also, don't get so busy that you can't water them when they NEED it. If you have time to water only on the weekends, and the plants need watering 3 times a week, this sort of result is what you are guaranteed to get. If you want to be a Paph "grower", not a Paph "consumer", you must care for the plant properly and provide your time and effort when the plant needs it, not when it is convenient for you. The plants won't adapt to your needs, you must adapt to theirs to be successful.

You did start with a beautiful, healthy plant and with a little more effort, you should be able to maintain Paphs in good health in the Vegas area. These strap leafed Paphs do like it very warm; but, not scorching hot and not low humidity, or direct sunshine.

I can understand your disappointment and desire to somehow make this right; but, you can't do that by assigning an unrealistic value to the plant. Even if you found a buyer, that doesn't mean that things aren't so bad; it just means you found someone who is inexperienced and doesn't recognise that this plant is too far gone. If you feel bad now, don't compound that by taking money from someone who is inexperienced and doesn't realize that his plant is not likely salvageable......and passing on the problem (the likely final gasp of this plant), on to that person. If you're an ethical person, you'll just feel worse about yourself. Either give it to an experienced grower just in case their is enough life left that it could make a comeback and bloom again after a number of years in recovery; or, keep it and try to make use of it as a learning exercise for yourself....to make you a better grower and help you do better with future plants that you acquire.

There isn't anybody here on this forum who is an experienced grower that hasn't had a plant go downhill like that, for various reasons. But, I bet nobody else has tried to sell a plant in such poor condition....especially for $60. There is nothing about this plant now that can justify asking for any amount of money for it. Sorry. Good luck with your efforts at getting it to recover. If there is any chance it might recover, we will help you along the way, if you're interested in receiving the benefit of our collective advice.

Very well stated and in complete agreement:)

Thanks for the advice. I am somewhat new to Paphs, but I am not inexperienced which is why this bothers me. The scorching weather snuck up on me and burned almost all my plants. As for the price, I did realize it was a little too much. I really just wanted to know if there was anyone who wanted to try and bring it back with some extra money. Oh well... guess not. Seems as though this plant is a goner just like I feared. Thanks for all your comments, in no way was I trying to come out richer. I had a feeling this would happen, my fault for posting apparently! I shall see what I can do, either it gets better or it shall find a new home in the garbage can. Thank you.

-Bonsai

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonsaiorchid1, I'd like to add one thing that I just realized was crucial to my opinion that this plant is too far gone. If you haven't realized this yourself, my bringing it up would be good for you to know.

If that plant had simply been sunburned and you'd trimmed the foliage a bit; but, it was still a healthy green, like in the earlier photos, then it would absolutely be salvageable. Despite the disfigurement of having portions of it's leaves burned and chopped, the remaining healthy green foliage would feed a new growth and in about a year to 18 months, you'd have a new, fully grown, unbloomed growth next to the old damaged one. However, the bleached out, yellowing colour of the plant in the "sick" photos tells me that this plant is suffering from more than just sunburn and being trimmed. It's yellow because the life is literally draining right out of it. That is what you can expect to see if it went dry for an extended period during a hot spell; or if it simply got so hot that the leaves burned at their hottest spots and the rest of the leaves were heated so much that they were so damaged that they can no longer function. If that plant had just been burned and trimmed; but, remained that lovely green, it'd still be a good plant. However, if that plant still had all it's foliage and there was no trimming done at all; but, it was still that (sick), bleached out, yellow colour, it'd still be just as worthless. If it lives, it's because the core of the plant and some roots are still alive. To survive now, it needs perfect growing conditions and lots and lots and lots of patience. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back