Paphiopedilum Chen Samn Colorful

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Orchidzrule

I always hesitate to post photos on this site because there are such great standards to live up to. However a friend urged me to post because this is an unusual cross of Paph delenatii with a vini hybrid, Paph Red Shift. I see the influence of both parents in the shape of the bloom, but the color is all vini:
IMG_0710Small.jpg

This is a decent reproduction of the color of the bloom.

I wanted to get a little more detail of the pouch, but in order to do so, the color got washed out. (My photography skills have great room for improvement--be kind!) So try and ignore the color in the second photo:

IMG_0701Small.jpg

Finally, I was really happy with the foliage, which largely takes after the delenatii parent:
IMG_0691.jpg

This was taken about two weeks before the bloom opened.

I recall Snow posted a photo of this grex, but possibly a different clone, because his appeared to be a much paler color. I think we both got them at the Manitoba Orchid Society show in March 2009. The vendor was selling them with tags that said Paph Chen Samn 'Colorful', suggesting Colorful was merely a clone of Chen Samn, but this is incorrect, according to Orchid Wiz, and I adjusted my tag accordingly.

:clap: :clap:COOOL - It is rather unusual, I think this one could grow on me! Thanks for posting & please don't hesitate to post, there are alot of members that have A+ photo skills, but there are probably more of us that can improve our skills, so you're in the majority! We all share one thing in common & what brings us together - our addiction! :p

The plant is actually Chen Samn Colorful....Colorful is not the clonal name, it is actually part of the Grex. The parentage is delenatii X Red Shift (a maudiae type) and was registered in 2007...I thought it reminded me of Madela (delenatii X Maudiae). I think its a great looking orchid!

Thank-you for posting it here too:) I'm sure you will get lots of comments since it is not the usual. I love the colour and the petals are broad!

Who was the vendor?

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind & encouraging comments, especially Rose for the reasurance. Yeah, I guess I have to admit to sharing the addiction, all right! There are a few other questions & comments I'd like to respond to.

The plant is actually Chen Samn Colorful....Colorful is not the clonal name, it is actually part of the Grex. The parentage is delenatii X Red Shift (a maudiae type) and was registered in 2007...I thought it reminded me of Madela (delenatii X Maudiae). I think its a great looking orchid!

Hi Todd, yes, that was I was trying to indicate--the vendor had them wrongly labelled (quotes around Colorful), which I changed after looking it up on Orchid Wiz. From what you say, I guess I ought to be looking for a Madela! Do you have any to trade? heheheh (We live on the right side of the border for doing so and I'll want to divide it eventually...)

Interesting color and saturation. Is it a first flowering?

Shiva, it appears to be a second blooming. It's not visible in the photo, but there is an older growth on the plant, with a stump of a flower stalk. Therefore, it might be a second blooming, or it may be a large plant that was divided. The vendor had several plants--with seemingly identical foliage--for sale, so I sort of lean toward that. Ah, yes the vendor...this leads me to Eric's question.

Wow, it's like a super Paph Kevin Porter! Who's the vendor?

I'd rather not say because the vendor in question isn't someone who grows his/her own plants, but is, rather, a local reseller of orchids and who we sort of have to have at our show in spite of the problems caused. So, I don't want to give this vendor any credit. (At the same time, I'm not ready to publicly denounce the vendor, either. Interested people are welcome to PM me if they really want to know.) Because the vendor has at least a bit of a bad rep, I was extremely reluctant to buy this plant. Indeed, I made a point of lifting it by its leaves to see if there were any roots present, before I took it! To my surprise, it clearly did have great roots and maybe I'm guilty of maligning.

So, in light of the fact it's not a first bloom, I guess it won't likely get any better, but it's more than satisfactory for my standards.

Thanks again for your comments!

paph sam chen colourfull

here is mine from last yr the bud was some deformed. i,t,s in bud again this year and hope the flower will have improved. i also got it from the same vendor. we seem to have the same taste consistently:D

Attachments

• paph Chen Samn ;;Colorful''(Small).jpg
    paph Chen Samn ;;Colorful''(Small).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 13
  • paph Chen Samn ''colorfull (Small).jpg
    paph Chen Samn ''colorfull (Small).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 15
Unless this vendor is a woman from Western Cananda who lost the opportunity to sell a bunch of phrags last year, I have no idea who you may mean! :p Then I guess the question should be; "from whom can I get this cross?".

Latest posts

Back