Paphiopedilum charlesworthii fm. sandowiae (album) ‘Titan’ AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s the plant with stickers on the leaves, down and yo the left of the featured albino? Tag says “armeniacum...”
Behind the featured plant, there is an armeniacum var markii (album) in bud!!

Also deeper back are the malipoense albums, micranthum album and vietnamenses (this is just showing a bud!).

...I don't have any luck with my vietnamense, lost two buds already 10 cm high. I'm looking forward to see your armeniacum var. markii!

...I don't have any luck with my vietnamense, lost two buds already 10 cm high. I'm looking forward to see your armeniacum var. markii!
I received this armeniacum markii album from Eggshells few months back, so it will be the first time this plant will bloom for either of us. Needless to say I’m nervous as it’s my first armeniacum to grow and bloom.

My vietnamense has bloom last season. It seems to like the one spot in the growing area so I didn’t move it after repotting this spring. So it stays in this area with cool nights even during budding. Likes lots of water, which I think prevents bud loss. Did you water well enough? I say this because I have seen buds blast from underwatering in my case (wardii especially).

I water twice a week but my temperature is pretty high, it gets never under 20°C and this summer the lowest was 23°C max. 34°C. The alternative would be extremly hot on the top shelves with peaks of 38°C.
That is the reason why I do not have armeniacum at all, I guess it wouldn't be very happy here.

That is the reason why I do not have armeniacum at all, I guess it wouldn't be very happy here.

FWIW - I can trick armeniacum and a few other Parvis by giving them a 'dryer' season in the winter months for about 2 months, followed by a 'rainy' season for 1-2 months to convince them it's Spring and time to bloom.

I water twice a week but my temperature is pretty high, it gets never under 20°C and this summer the lowest was 23°C max. 34°C. The alternative would be extremly hot on the top shelves with peaks of 38°C.
You still need a night differential of 10F or more to trigger bloom response for these hilly paphs. I give them almost 10C or more (25C days, 15C nights).

I find that humidity should be above 45-60% RH for good stable bud growths.

FWIW - I can trick armeniacum and a few other Parvis by giving them a 'dryer' season in the winter months for about 2 months, followed by a 'rainy' season for 1-2 months to convince them it's Spring and time to bloom.
How cool are your nights during this dry period?

I actually do not dry them with watering schedule under lights (they get same watering times as all others), but rather dry them faster in front of the fan (blows 24 hours on them).

Would I need a night differential of 10F permanently or only for a short period in winter?

Latest posts

Back