Paphiopedilum charlesworthii alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlesworthii has never been on my priority ‘gotta have it’ list, but this Alba I love!!!

this beginner’s question, does this Sam sell to anyone? Located in the US?

I have a mature alba plant that bloomed in March, then in June in Florida. Pic below. Now in August has two spikes. Pic 2 below. My standard charlesworhii is also in low bud. 3rd pic. I wonder if my fertilizing Weakly twice a week and being Florida grown plants are the reasons for blooming in Florida’s hot humid summer.
1598203140262.png
1598203271385.jpeg
1598203299080.jpeg

Nice big dorsal on yours Michael.

It seems when a plant is matured they bloom when a slight dip in temperatures happen.

What are your cultural conditions? I’m surprised that charlesworthiis grow in Florida weather.

I keep all my slippers outside year round. Under a screen lanai and fiberglass roof greenhouse. I keep fans on 24-7 during our 80-95 temps from June to September. That keeps my orchid area about 85 tops during day and 75 nights until the weather changes. I water every other to third day during summer. Rain water mostly (RO in winter when no rain). Even warm growing Cymbidiums and Masdevallia tolerate my Florida 95 summer if I keep fans on and water frequently.

95F! Wow...

I guess in nature they may experience that hot weather at some point in their habitat for short periods of time. They do cool down for winter annually.

Does your area in Florida go below 75F at night during the winter months?

Yes, in the winter my area is 50-60 with a few days as low as mid 30s or 40s for a few hours.
I am able to keep all my orchids in my greenhouse free of any risk of frost on the rare very cold evening/early morning with plastic covering the sides of the greenhouse.
There are rare days with risk of hurricane winds in the summer and fall or risk of 2-3 cold winter days, that I move all my lanai plants into the house!

Stunning I have one from Orchids Limited but I lost all the roots so it's in recovery at the mo

Back