Paphiopedilum bullenianum bud

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lineage are plants from Borneo. The Japanese do not make mistakes... usually lol... esp if they consider it valuable.

But I will do my research as I'm curious about the differentiation of the appletonianum complex.
Thanks for the Infos! I never saw plants like yours that are Borneo Origin. i know that Paph linii (bullenianum var. linii) occurs at Bako NP Sarawak. But looks completly different. Plants which i grew in my old collection as bullenianum also looked very different. Thats why i am confused.

Thanks for the Infos! I never saw plants like yours that are Borneo Origin. i know that Paph linii (bullenianum var. linii) occurs at Bako NP Sarawak. But looks completly different. Plants which i grew in my old collection as bullenianum also looked very different. Thats why i am confused.
Hmmm interesting. Have you pics of these flowers for comparison you can share here?

So the research starts! Gathered my library together lol.

20210213_082604.jpg

Plus I reached out to Frank Cervera, Olaf Gruss, David Sorowsky, Glen Decker and Sam Tsui.

Unfortunately the previous owner is undergoing major surgery this month so will not be available till later to add his version of events.

I have some homework to do!

Finally, the sun has parted the clouds and shone in. So I took a few pics in various locations in growing area. This is the true color in natural light.

20210214_093741.jpg20210214_093847.jpg20210214_094109.jpg20210214_094240.jpg20210214_094355.jpg20210214_094427.jpg

The petals appear to be a dark pink lavender in all kinds of light with a glossy texture.

Also, I discovered the label. It was a sib of ('Eagle' x 'Atsumi' BM/JOGA) when it was robinsonii, a synonym of bullenianum! So this one was not originally from Borneo as I had thought. So now even more drama and confusion lol.

The research for ID continues as neither bullenianum or robinsonii fits the bill. So far likely candidates are appletonianum, cerveranum and amabile.

Very beautiful flower! I like the colorful petals in theese species group.
I thought cerveranum and amabile are also synonym of appletonianum now. I had all "species" from this group in flower and havent seen any significant difference. I for myself think that theese are all one species with different local varieties.

.............neither bullenianum or robinsonii fits the bill. So far likely candidates are appletonianum, cerveranum and amabile.

Leslie, Paph. cerveranum / Paph. appletonianum var. cerveranum are synonyms to Paph. appletonianum. Paph. amabile / Paph. amabile is synonym to Paph. bulleanum var. bulleanum. So if you tend to Paph. amabile your tag would be right Paph. bulleanum var. bulleanum. Otherwise the only other possibility would be Paph. appletonianum.

Leslie, Paph. cerveranum / Paph. appletonianum var. cerveranum are synonyms to Paph. appletonianum. Paph. amabile / Paph. amabile is synonym to Paph. bulleanum var. bulleanum. So if you tend to Paph. amabile your tag would be right Paph. bulleanum var. bulleanum. Otherwise the only other possibility would be Paph. appletonianum.
I understand most are synonyms of each other as I consult WCSP regularly (esp. in this case).

However all taxonomists who have lumped or separated each entity have always had doubts on their respective reclassification, indicated in all their descriptions. Most recommend that each entity be kept and bred in their own group until a full DNA study is carried out. The karyotypes range from 38 to 42 I think and therefore we might be seeing speciation of the ecotypes evolving. For this reason, the WCSP may not reflect the true identification just yet.

As a result, in my current research, I have decided to keep the most viable subvarieties with full descriptions in literature as possible options. This was because the experts I consulted did so as well, giving me amabile and cerveranum as potential candidates.

It is likely all may be grouped under appletonianum as subvarieties. Until then each must be identified and separated from cross breeding until the DNA is studied.

Therefore identifying my plant is essential for me to maintain the integrity of that subvariety (as I have many of these appletonianum types here).

Last edited:
this is not a Paph. bullenianum or Paph. amabile from Sarawak (Borneo), but Paph. cerveranum (old name Paph. robinsonii) from Indochina

Last edited:
this is not a Paph. bullenianum or Paph. amabile from Sarawak (Borneo), but Paph. cerveranum (old name Paph. robinsonii) from Indochina
Thanks for input but can you explain your deductions based on floral (or other) characteristics? I'm interested in how you conclude this identification, be it personal experience (like Martin) or literature etc.

Back