Paphiopedilum barbigerum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Barry

Reaction score
Paph barbigerum

Not the most exciting of Paph species, but it blooms regularly.

Paph_barbigerum1.jpg

Regards,
Rick

Is it my eyes or does it have quite a bit of magenta/purple on the dorsal? Understand why P. coccineum considered variety of this species. Huge synsepal !
Cute species ... don't knock it ... it might stop blooming !
cheers,
Tim

I find barbigerums being one of the most beautiful species in the genus - and yours looks quite good

It may not be exciting to some BUT I find them charming! I'll take it!

Just to clarify my comments, I should point out that I'm a sucker for nearly any Paph species, but especially the ones with bold coloration. That doesn't put P. barbigerum at the top of my list of favorite Paphs, but that doesn't mean I don't consider it worth having. I do think this particular plant compares favorably with other barbigerums, especially considering the synsepalum. The dorsal does show quite a bit of rose coloring, which may suggest P. coccineum to some. In terms of plant size, this one has 7-8" leaves, which seems to put it outside the P. coccineum concept.

Thanks for the comments.

Rick

From the coloration and size, I'd say that yours is actually in the range of vejvarutianum or rhizomatosum....which may actually be the same species...but the synsepal is completely unique. Hmmmm....cross it with exul? Take care, ERic

From the coloration and size, I'd say that yours is actually in the range of vejvarutianum or rhizomatosum....which may actually be the same species... ERic
Rick, Eric I was thinking the same thing. I have a similar plant that I came by the way of "Orchids on a Stick" ( his name escapes me) Rick, do you recall where you got your plant from?

I've got a couple of seedlings, I think yours looks great. I hope mine end up as nice as yours.

Well done!

Rick, Eric,

It came from Andy's. It might be the very same plant. I'd love to see a picture of your bloom(s). The synsepalum would seem to confirm its identity. If so, I think we should agree on a clonal name, for future reference. It only seems honest, on the off-chance that the plant should ever get an award, or even be used for breeding.

I thought rhizomatosum is considered synonymous with areeanum.

I have another plant that is labeled P. affine gratrixianum, that I'd like to further identify. It is suggestive of several members of the insigne alliance, but it doesn't seem to fit solidly within any single species.

Regards,
Rick

I read that rhizomatosum is synonymous with areeanum...but for all intents and purposes, plants of vejvarutianum, rhiz./areeanum, and larger forms of barbigerum have all been mixed up and sold as barbigerum. However, this plant is the only one I have seen with the enormous synsepal. Mine certainly doesn't have it...in fact, its a rather boring paph...I greatly prefer the miniature barb's.But the synsepal on that bloom changes everything!

Latest posts

Back