Paphiopedilum barbigerum in situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cxcanh

Reaction score
I still wonder a bit related this varity ....
photo on 14/10/2018

Hear, hear...one can only join the chorus!

Interesting colour form with the bright green central dorsal!

Have you checked with mr. Gruss, whether it warrants to be described as a botanical entity in its own right (a new colour form of the species...etc.) or whether it might be an intermediate form between the typical and the aureum form...or....?

Kind regards,
Jens

Hear, hear...one can only join the chorus!

Interesting colour form with the bright green central dorsal!

Have you checked with mr. Gruss, whether it warrants to be described as a botanical entity in its own right (a new colour form of the species...etc.) or whether it might be an intermediate form between the typical and the aureum form...or....?

Kind regards,
Jens

Thank you, we are disscussing and we made detail discription photos to send him to check.

It's always fascinating to see your reports about Paphs in situ. I never had expected to see P. barbigerum growing in the wild on a almost upright limestone wall.

It's always fascinating to see your reports about Paphs in situ. I never had expected to see P. barbigerum growing in the wild on a almost upright limestone wall.

It is so diffirent with what I saw before (color)

OMG - it's so beautiful, you almost can't breathe! Such lovely pictures!

And I think, if one takes a closer look at the picture of the coccineum: it's actually not growing on the quite vertical limestone cliff - it seems to be growing in the crevices in the cliff surface, possibly as a humus epiphyte?

Please, enlighten us, Cxcanh!

I strongly believe, these are not pure barbigerums. Look at the leaf structure. Shorter and wider leaves, than barbigerum have. More fat flower, green sepal center, shorter and more stretched petals. More likely natural hybrid between barbigerum and helenae in my opinion.

I strongly believe, these are not pure barbigerums. Look at the leaf structure. Shorter and wider leaves, than barbigerum have. More fat flower, green sepal center, shorter and more stretched petals. More likely natural hybrid between barbigerum and helenae in my opinion.

I think your suspision re: the one with the green sepal center might somehow be well founded - we are curiously waiting what O. Gruss thinks of it?!

The coccineum, though, looks exactly as the one standing on my desk - and the flowers look all like it! (one could, albeit, discuss, which name has precedence: Averyanov et al. designates it as P. barbigerum var. lockianum)

But whatever the botanical determination: the photos are just great!

Kind regards,
Jens

Latest posts

Back