Paphiopedilum barbatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Werner, this is a very nice flower......but in my eyes no Paph. barbatum but Paph. callosum. Have a look at the angle of the petals and the warts on them.

Last edited:
Leslie, no, but same habitat.

Rudolf, its from Southern Thailand and should be barbatum. There is no crossii/callosum.
For me , the small flowers are barbatum , the petals over 5cm are from callosum.

Rudolf, its from Southern Thailand and should be barbatum. There is no crossii/callosum.
For me , the small flowers are barbatum , the petals over 5cm are from callosum.

Werner, I can't say anything about its origin and I'm no taxonomist and won't argue.....but in my eyes the whole flower screams.....I'm a nice Paph. callosum.

Last edited:
Werner, I can't say anything about its origin and I'm no taxonomist and won't argue.....but in my eyes the whole flower cries.....I'm a nice Paph. callosum.
That was also my first thought! Nice flower anyway!

Guido Braem agrees with crossii ( callosum ).

I will dig a little bit deeper into this matter. Some details would not fit.

Any opinion about crossii / callosum? I checked Guido Braems arguments and think he is right.

still confused
I asked G. Braem for help , got an answer but not to my question

ANY CLEAR RULES FOR WHAT IS P. BARBATUM AND WHAT IS P. CROSSII/CALLOSUM ???

Frankly, Paph crossii or Paph callosum do grow in the southern part of Thailand and north Malaysia region (more in the eastern side of the western Malaysia peninsula.
Paph barbatum is found in the western part of western Malaysia peninsula, and south to Cameron highland mountain regional

Based on Dr Braem latest genus paphiopedilum, there is a basic description explaining the different between the 3 paph- barbatum, crossii and lawrencea

you did be able find the subtle different.

Frankly, Paph crossii or Paph callosum do grow in the southern part of Thailand and north Malaysia region (more in the eastern side of the western Malaysia peninsula.
Paph barbatum is found in the western part of western Malaysia peninsula, and south to Cameron highland mountain regional

Based on Dr Braem latest genus paphiopedilum, there is a basic description explaining the different between the 3 paph- barbatum, crossii and lawrencea

you did be able find the subtle different.
thanks Shaw, I got this book. My plant looks exactely like th picture on page 324, even the leave pattern.
If you dig into it, there is only the chromosome number left which makes crossii and barbatum distinct.
I got my doubts, where are the natural hybrids...........................

I am still looking for an easy way to find out the difference .

thanks Shaw, I got this book. My plant looks exactely like th picture on page 324, even the leave pattern.
If you dig into it, there is only the chromosome number left which makes crossii and barbatum distinct.
I got my doubts, where are the natural hybrids...........................

I am still looking for an easy way to find out the difference .
personally I feel that this is the paph callsosum/crossii var sublaeve.

Latest posts

Back