Paphiopedilum barbatum var nigritum Group

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In recent times I've seen allot barb nigritums posted and I wonder where all this influx nigritums are coming from. Has a taxonomist formally scripted this variety somewhere? The only nigritum I know of is the one I posted in 2019.
https://www.slippertalk.com/threads/paph-nigritum-dyak-warrior.47589/
This clone 'Dyak Warrior' has been around for decades and I believe the only plant ever found. I'm not even sure if its legitment. Olaf says its barbatum but I've never bloomed or seen a barbatum that even comes close to this Dyak Warrior clone.

To me all these plants are callosum sublaeve, thailandense etc

In recent times I've seen allot barb nigritums posted and I wonder where all this influx nigritums are coming from. Has a taxonomist formally scripted this variety somewhere? The only nigritum I know of is the one I posted in 2019.
This clone 'Dyak Warrior' has been around for decades and I believe the only plant ever found. I'm not even sure if its legitment. Olaf says its barbatum but I've never bloomed or seen a barbatum that even comes close to this Dyak Warrior clone.

I have seen quite a few vendors at local shows and online selling this as well. I saw the tag QF. Obviously, all the seedlings from flask a few years ago are coming into bloom now. The original source, I have no clue.
Wow~ your barbatum looks so different than what I think of as barbatum!

The callosum complex indeed looks like each other with a variation in certain aspects like size of flowers, colours, markings, wart location, leave morphology, geographic isolation, etc etc etc. Depending on whether one splits or lumps them together, they all are variations of the same theme. Even lawrenceanum with it horizontal petals can be seen as very closely related. If we start afresh with all of them together and start to differentiate and separate them, we would be hard pressed to recognize the speciation we have today. All I know is the group here has smaller flowers than the callosums and the plant size is tiny, matched only by the smaller versions of papuanums. The world checklist recognizes this as a synonym of barbatum, which I think might be erroneous because there is much difference in the plant size and flower colours (as in SlipperKing post). Time for a taxonomic review of this variation!

Latest posts

Back