Paphiopedilum armeniacum (group photo)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always like your photos on your plants,
started a trial by myself with your methode.

my aremeniacum is not doing so well in it, by my nearly dead micranthum
starts to grow with stalones,

I always like your photos on your plants,
started a trial by myself with your methode.

my aremeniacum is not doing so well in it, by my nearly dead micranthum
starts to grow with stalones,

I'm sorry to hear that. I wonder what your temperatures are? This plant seems to like it relatively warm, constantly moist and lots of light.

It is just gorgeous and inspiring!
I want to try this method for one of my armeniacums(The one that just blasted a bud recently, so it is probably OK to re-pot now) and have couple questions if you don't mind answering them.
Our garden center sells these baskets pre-lined with something like coconut fiber, do you think I should throw it away to replace with sphag, or coconut fiber would work just the same?
My plant is quite small, just one growth with three new small starting leads, would it be OK in such large basket?
Thank you very much.

My temps are Ok,
Maybe I should give more light.

I have in another one one delenatii sitting, it is double the size then another one from the smae flask. And both are only one growth, but the sized is really big. So we will see.

At least my micranthum are going to do well in it.

By the way, I have the same basket as you orchideya, with the coconut in and filled it up with bark.

Sure. The baskets are standard heavy-gauge wire baskets you can get from a garden center. These are about 1 foot in diameter and half as deep. I line the basket with long-fibered sphagnum moss and then fill the center with standard Paph. mix (fir bark, perlite, charcoal). The mix rots and falls out of the bottom over time and I just keep top dressing to make up the difference. I grow them in "cattleya" light (1/2 day of full sun equivalent). The temps. are about 80F in the day and 70F at night in the summer and 10F cooler in the winter. I water daily in the summer and about every other day in winter (NEVER let them dry out there is no need for a dry winter rest). I fertilize weakly weekly with urea-free fertilized at 125-150 ppm.

I though both armeniacum needs much cooler winter temperature than 60F and winter dry rest. I guess there is hope for me after all :):):)

It is just gorgeous and inspiring!
I want to try this method for one of my armeniacums(The one that just blasted a bud recently, so it is probably OK to re-pot now) and have couple questions if you don't mind answering them.
Our garden center sells these baskets pre-lined with something like coconut fiber, do you think I should throw it away to replace with sphag, or coconut fiber would work just the same?
My plant is quite small, just one growth with three new small starting leads, would it be OK in such large basket?
Thank you very much.

I always removed the coconut liner from mine. It may work if left intact, but I wanted the stolons to have no obstruction.

All of mine were put in the baskets when only one growth in size. They will fill it quickly.

I always removed the coconut liner from mine. It may work if left intact, but I wanted the stolons to have no obstruction.

All of mine were put in the baskets when only one growth in size. They will fill it quickly.

Great, thanks!
Would this method work for micranthum too? considering it's stolon growing habits.
Thanks again.

amazing, i wish ill be able to have armeniacum as big as these ones... in many years :)

Armeniacum galore!!!!!!Incredible!!!!!
This is magnificent, never seen like this before. Single growth to filling up the basket in 6 years???? Thanks for sharing the culture. I will certainly give more light to my armeniacums.

Latest posts

Back