Paphiopedilum armeniacum and X micranthum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would love to see more photos like that.
It's too late for such photos. Germination is in progress. We have some protocorms of micranthum x armeniacum. See photo from Claus. It looks like underwater mines.

Paphipedilum armeniacum doesn't show germination yet.

14293745035_4cbd6c119b_b.jpg

Your photo in May shows 6 procorms but todays PIC only shows 4. Is this a different mother flask or did 2 die off?

The 6 protocorms are in 2 glasses now. The new medium has less hormones to accelerate cell differentiation. For primary germination the hormones in medium are of advantage.

The biggest bastard seedling made 2 new leaves in the last year out of glass. I am impressed.:)

20605582158_80627e15ca_b.jpg

Oh, wow! That is so tiny!!

I hope they speed up a little. All the best!

BTW, what happened to the rest of the seeds?
What happened to the armeniacum seeds? Any germination?

The other seedlings are still in glass. From armeniacum we have 1.5 seedlings only.:)
It's not so easy to earn one's living by propagating Paphiopedilum armeniacum.

The other seedlings are still in glass. From armeniacum we have 1.5 seedlings only.:)
It's not so easy to earn one's living by propagating Paphiopedilum armeniacum.

1.5? Does that mean you have one and another one is half dead??

I have read that P. armeniacum is easily propagated via division or wild collection that propagation by seeding is not often done. Maybe this is another reason why??

Anyways, at least Fumi's Delight yield is much better.
I love that hybrid. :)

1.5? Does that mean you have one and another one is half dead??

Yes, small and half alive. I tend to forget it.

Propagating by division is easy. But for generative propagation we would have to do some more research on the sowing medium and the bleaching procedure.

Thanks for posting that is very interesting to see and it inspires me to have another go.

As for bleaching, I did hear that you can use an ascorbate (vitamin C) solution (adjust pH with KOH), as a "stop solution". Vit C neutralises bleach very effectively and is supposed to allow you to use longer bleach treatments. You give one water rinse after bleach, then a 3-5 min soak in the stop solution, followed by another water rinse. Autoclave vit C as pure solution to avoid denaturing or filter sterilise.

I've tried this (at 0.1% w/v, pH 6.0) on neo seeds and got high percent germination in 21 days with the stop method but poorer and slower germination without, ... however the protocorms did not develop and died off. This happened in both treatments so I don't think it was the stop solution, rather some major mistakes in formulating my home made germination medium. Another observation was that the seeds that had the stop treatment came out pale yellow-orange colour, rather than dull brown, so the vit C treatment did affect seed colour more than the bleach did on it's own. I suspect that the vit C is doing something more than just neutralising the bleach.

The little bastard is reaching 12 mm leaf span already.
But how do we say: Haste makes waste :wink:

22672433733_44f39e2faa_o.jpg

Photo with a 44-MPixel chip of a Sony A7R II and a 90 mm close-up lense, distance 30 cm

Back