Paphiopedilum argus 'Spyder Center'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second attempt for this species. First one was all wrong with missing parts. This second sib plant is better but not as colorful.

The green spider on the staminode is very distinctive. If I didn't know better it is meant to attract another spider to attempt copulation and pollinate it in the struggle.

20201226_175101.jpg20201226_175121.jpg20201226_175107.jpg20201226_175113.jpg20201226_175026.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty P. argus though (in my eyes) there could be slightly mor red colour in this flower. Maybe next time.
I flowered one almost 10 years ago but this one decided to go to orchid heaven and a replacement is hard to find here. The European vendors don't have it in stock regularely.

Pretty P. argus though (in my eyes) there could be slightly mor red colour in this flower. Maybe next time.
I flowered one almost 10 years ago but this one decided to go to orchid heaven and a replacement is hard to find here. The European vendors don't have it in stock regularely.
I have seen pics with reddish petals and darker pouch. I would prefer that but mine is special because of two reasons:

1. I didn't kill it (yet)
2. It flowered normally

Not sure if it will flower darker in future but presently it has very good conformation for shape.

I love that one!
Your spider looks like a blood splattered angel... beautiful!
It kinda does look like arterial spray lol.

I love these close up shots as we don't really look that carefully at our flowers. Plus we get the insect's viewpoint of their honeypot!

I hope your camera can do closeups of your purpuratum? Imagine what treasures are hiding in there.

I love closeups, too. But the thing I'm making my fotos with most people here wouldn't consider as a camera...

Back