Paphiopedilum anitum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
Paphiopedilum anitum

Just opened. Same flower. Two backgrounds. DS is about 4cm. NSV is 18.5 cm or 7.5 inches. Height of plant is 28 inches.

0ef65a26a7a6418f7cebc5bb3eeda780.jpg

The first plant to open its flower is taller 35 inches. I'm not sure why the petals never relax. I did move this plant several times. Well first time blooming this species and I was excited. Trying to find a best place to let the flower open better. It didn't work so this is it for this year.

ae243d03ef2e91eb9cd5333f7b19d3d7.jpg

35 inches tall

4e167db176fb121dafc4756392e4c7f3.jpg

28 inches tall
2dc85aeb2f4cbd8af2c9b9e837545cbb.jpg

So we wait for these plants to get stronger maybe blooming these again in 2 years.

Thank you both.

Nice! Culture notes?

I just found out don't stake antium until flowers are opened, or stake before bud starts to mature. It's common sense to stake early but in real life I don't do it. The second flower that just opened doesn't have problem with petals crossing. I stake the it and found that at a particular angle petals were touching. So I remove the clip and let the inflorescence lean naturally - the petals were separated. I tried to take a photo duplicating but no luck - I can replace the clip but now the stake is at the correct angle where the petals don't touch. Lesson learned here is next time I will stake early. A real surprise to see the inflorescence growing so tall !

Both plants are growing in soft plastic pot with single hole drainage. I tried to keep these watered more often and not to let the media completely dry out. In another post I have shown the roots seem to develop nicely. Although second plant that bloomed have more growths, it is not as strong as the first plant that bloomed with 2 flowers. I'm growing these bright.

I'm used to seeing petals curving back towards the stem and touched or crossed with the other petal, very anitum like. Unique.

Love the shape and dark dorsal of this species. How old are the plants and what is the diameter of the whole plant. They don't look very big. I have seedlings of both adductum and anitum which are approaching a year out of flask and are dong OK. They are also in orchiata but I may put sphagnum on top to keep a little moist longer.

Gary
UK

Latest posts

Back