Paphiopedilum Angel Hair x Mount Toro

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a hybrid of other hybrids you're playing a genetic lottery and won't always get a flower with all the species in it in the proportions you'd expect.

If the Saint Swithin hybrid passed on much more philipinense flower genes than roth and then the same happened from the Angel Hair and Mount Toro parents then you could expect a very phili flower. The higher the proportion it's just the less likely it is to occur.

While the second or third generation of sanderianum hybrids can be unpredictable, I think this looks more like a mislabeled plant.

I sent the pictures to Fred Clark, who made the cross. No red flags from him on the parentage or outcome. At the end of the day, I like it and don't have something similar in my collection.

Last edited:
I sent the pictures to Fred Clark, who made the cross. No red flags from him on the parentage or outcome. At the end of the day, I like it and don't have something similar in my collection.
whether it is mislabeled or not,...as long as you like it, that is what matters the most.

I love your blooms. If I grew multis and a hybrid gave me this flower I’d be doing a happy dance! I especially like the dorsal with its crisp dark stripes.

As a hybrid of other hybrids you're playing a genetic lottery and won't always get a flower with all the species in it in the proportions you'd expect.

If the Saint Swithin hybrid passed on much more philipinense flower genes than roth and then the same happened from the Angel Hair and Mount Toro parents then you could expect a very phili flower. The higher the proportion it's just the less likely it is to occur.

I agree. There is nothing to suggest this label is wrong. If you want predictable outcomes, stick to primary hybrids.

Back