Paphiopedilum amabile alba (syn: bullenianum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keep the pollen. Someone might want it
Someone did ask for it LOL. I will store for sure.

A question out there....

Whats the best way to store paph pollen and still verified viable after a few months? I put with dry paper towel inside a small plastic baggy, sealed and into a pill container in the veggie chill section of fridge. Is that good?

Floppy or not, it's still gorgeous!

If you are too unhappy with it, you can always send it my direction! If not, I'll certainly have to ask mr. Popow, if he has yet another one to spare? That is, when my finances has overcome my last orders to him and my Dresden preorder to mrs. Wenqing Perner of Hengduan. Dresden is of course cancelled, but my order is in the post, as we are speaking - and I feel like a little boy before Christmas!

Whats the best way to store paph pollen and still verified viable after a few months? I put with dry paper towel inside a small plastic baggy, sealed and into a pill container in the veggie chill section of fridge. Is that good?

Try to ask 'Fibre' - the wizard of Paph-hybridisation! (you could tell him, that the co-owner of the 'Lemon Elf' and the godmother of Paph. Titziano pointed you in his direction)

Floppy or not, it's still gorgeous!

If you are too unhappy with it, you can always send it my direction! If not, I'll certainly have to ask mr. Popow, if he has yet another one to spare? That is, when my finances has overcome my last orders to him and my Dresden preorder to mrs. Wenqing Perner of Hengduan. Dresden is of course cancelled, but my order is in the post, as we are speaking - and I feel like a little boy before Christmas!

Try to ask 'Fibre' - the wizard of Paph-hybridisation! (you could tell him, that the co-owner of the 'Lemon Elf' and the godmother of Paph. Titziano pointed you in his direction)
Hehe Wonky stays till next blooming.
I hope you get great plants in your shipments.
I’m sure Popow will have more amabile.
Hopefully next year will make up better shows!!
Yes Fred, you are correct!!

I think flower and leaves look very similar to the wolterianums from Hilmar. But for sure nice one.

Wonky yes....but nice too.
Except for a few, but salient features, among which actually being a true albino plant might count as one of the marked differences! :D

Hilmar sells the plants as 'album' (maybe the parents were both 'album') but so far I haven't seen one which flowerd out as a true 'album'. Maybe I havn't seen enough?

I think flower and leaves look very similar to the wolterianums from Hilmar. But for sure nice one.
Martin, these are my observations (similar to both Jens and Guru) comparing this Popow plant and the Hilmar plant:

1. the Popow flower here is true album type with no minute brown spotting at petals or sepals

2. the staminode are slightly different; Hilmar plant is shaped like 2 lungs with dark emerald green covering almost entire surface, while the Popow plant here is butterfly-like with lighter green markings on the wings only.

3. Both plants have similar shaped leaves but the Popow plant here has much light colour (both amabile have lighter tessellations).

Of course this may be due to appletonianum variation continuum.

I’m posting Hilmar’s wolterianum (x self) here again to compare:

Pic 1: both flowers
Pic 2: wolterianum album (Hilmar)
Pic 3: amabile (Popow)

14147041-4573-4109-89E9-DCF14A0A63B9.jpeg 4A335A7C-7BEF-4C6D-A172-96B68B397ED2.jpeg 370C5336-6453-47C5-8CC1-30991766094B.jpeg

Attachments

• 387C5384-B94B-471C-A08D-47D36662C8C9.jpeg
    387C5384-B94B-471C-A08D-47D36662C8C9.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 6
This one came in bud from Tokyo Dome show. Kinda small and floppy. But rare enough to keep. First bloom seedling from Popow. There’s an unbloomed second seedling that may have better flower in future lol.

hard to believe that little plant can produce all that flower!

In a 4 inch or 10 cm pot.

View attachment 18673 View attachment 18674 View attachment 18675 View attachment 18676 View attachment 18677 View attachment 18678 View attachment 18679 View attachment 18680

Thanks all... yes those paphs will push a big flower sometimes the first time. The danger is to pod them this young. They usually perish after. Guess in nature, their purpose is fulfilled with seeds.

Latest posts

Back