Paphiopedilum Alois Handlbauer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Paphiopedilum Fanaticum x Paphiopedilum hangianum

It came from SVO (Sunset Valley Orchids) a couple of years ago. Flower is 5.5 in / 14 cm natural spread and the foliage is 8.75 in / 22 cm from tip to tip. Overall very good flower to foliage ratio!

I wasn't expecting this outcome at all, but I like it a lot. It's very heavily influenced by hangianum, and aside from the staminode it could almost pass as a hangianum. There's definitely some influence from the other two species, and the foliage confirms it. The flower is also pretty fragrant, smelling just like hangianum, though perhaps not quite as strong.

I'm going to go ahead and say that this is a keeper for me, though I'll still be on the look out for one of the more typical varieties (i.e. darker and stronger tessellation, pink or green background color, commode lip).

Attachments

• paph.alois.handlbauer.flash.jpg
    paph.alois.handlbauer.flash.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 16
  • paph.alois.handlbauer.jpg
    paph.alois.handlbauer.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 21
  • alois_full.jpg
    alois_full.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 22
  • alois_full_2.jpg
    alois_full_2.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 21
Very strong floral hangianum influence eventhough it was pollen parent.

Besides staminode, the leaves are also different as it has tessellations from fanaticum (also smaller vegetatively coming from pod parent).

Latest posts

Back