Paph ???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jay

I bought this at a local orchid show this weekend labeled as Paph. mastersianum. However, I don't think that is what it is now that I have had a chance to get home and look it up on the internet. I think it is a Maudiae type hybrid.

The good news is before I potted it in S/H it looked like it was a two growth plant, but it was actually two plants. The other is not in bud, but doing great and looks identical.

Anyone have an opinion on the plant? Will update this as it opens.

jay

Attachments

• paph ???.JPG
    paph ???.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 52
i think it's a maudiae too. let's hope we're pleasantly surprised, though, i don't think we will be.
hmmm... i'm kinda surprised a vendor would sell it as that. hopefully you didn't pay too much for it.
maybe it's a sukhakulii alba?

I don't think it is a mastersianum either. The light color of the bud gives me the impression that it is an alba.
Thanh (Springwater orchids) on e-bay has a BS mastersianum listed this week.

Tom

I do not know all of the Paphs well enough to know that it was labeled wrong.
Once I got home I was pretty sure that it was labeled wrong. Oh well, it was only $10 and when I repotted it, there was actually two of them in the pot. Only one of the two are pictured. The other plant, which I thought was a second growth, is almost the same size, but not in flower.

This show was at Gubler's Orchids, which does most of the supplying of orchids to Home Depot, Lowe's, Kroger/Ralph's. There were not any other vendors selling orchids like a normal show. And because of the heavy increase in people visiting, a lot of the staff helping out did not really know specifics about orchids.

Thanks for your help, I will post photos when it opens so we can try to figure out what it is.

jay

The price alone is a giveaway....mastersianum is about $25 for a seedling, at the cheapest (Thanh)..and can go up to $100 or more for blooming size plants. From the photo, and price, I'd say its an alba maudiae-type, with some sukhakuhlii in the mix, based on the long bud. Take care, Eric

Eric, unfortunately there wasn't much help, and I am still learning the different paphs so I did not realize that the price did not make sense either. I was a little skeptical thinking the molted leaves and the green and white bud was going to be a Maudiae type hybrid.

I am still happy with getting two healthy paphs for $10. I didn't have an album form paph yet so I can't wait to see this one bloom. I suppose there is always a possibility that the other will bloom different than this one.

I guess time will tell on all counts.

Jay

Paph mastersianum has distinctive (shiny) leaves with faint mottling. The only known albino mastersianum is unfortunately deceased. This looks like an albino flower and the foliage looks like Paph venustum. Perhaps it is that species or a hybrid with it?

could it be a mastersianum hybrid, and the seller being careless not listing the other parent?

Latest posts

Back