Paph ?????

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The long red fat petals and dorsal base greenish color is definitely from lowii.

The second parent gave the red stripes on dorsal as well as the intense spots on petal basal half. It also gave a red pouch. Along with the light mottled leaves, it leaves only one parent that can gives these other qualities.... anyone can guess? 3 guesses?

Yes, I agree, but should add that the staminode of lowii has been "broadened" and has been given a light, almost whitish margin. I would guess P. superbiens (original) is closest as it includes the light staminode margin with green centre, but other section barbata types like curtisii, ciliolare etc. with dark pouches and broad pubescent staminodes are hard to rule out.

BTW very nice hybrid.

The long red fat petals and dorsal base greenish color is definitely from lowii.
The second parent gave the red stripes on dorsal as well as the intense spots on petal basal half. It also gave a red pouch. Along with the light mottled leaves, it leaves only one parent that can gives these other qualities.... anyone can guess? 3 guesses?

I'm mainly for P. ciliolare, but am a bit vexed about the (almost) lack of hair on the spots on the outer surfaces of the petals (lowii surpressing ciliolare traits)? Secondly casting a fond glance towards lawrenceanum, though here the quantity of spots - or rather the lack of it - irks.

I do like it a lot, but I have the kind of mind that needs to have a name attached. I am calling it Paph 'Iggy' after my ridiculous pooch. I have also named a seedling Hemerocallis named after him--H. 'Iggy on Fire'. It is a UFO cascade that measures 8" across. DSCF8765a.jpg

I would guess P. superbiens (original) is closest as it includes the light staminode margin with green centre, but other section barbata types like curtisii, ciliolare etc. with dark pouches and broad pubescent staminodes are hard to rule out.
P. superbiens for me too. The pouch is the characteristic that jiggled my memory of a photo I'd seen recently-posted by an on-line vendor. I remember thinking 'what a peculiar looking thing.' Can't remember the vendor. It might have been Marlow a few months ago - before they redesigned their website. Anyway, while I was "researching" I found at least three more paphs for my ASAP list. Funny how that works. (Ciliolare makes sense to me too)

Last edited:
Back