Paph. Yellow Tiger

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

incharm

Reaction score
Paph. Yellow Tiger = stonei x glanduliforum
I think this clone had gotten the good characters of both parents, and the flower size is also bigger than parents, DS 5 cm.

Attachments

• 20220604_105131.JPG
    20220604_105131.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220604_105218.JPG
    20220604_105218.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 1
This was a very popular hybrid back in the 90s and I'm not sure why it wasn't used more in hybridising. Probably because of wilhelmenae becoming more available and darker flowers where the vogue. I have an order in for a few plants using YT crossed with sanderianum. Which I'm hoping for a dramatic lighter colored flower rather then all these dark anitum hybrids I have now.

Very nice. Yellow Tiger is platyphyllum x glanduliferum (unless you don’t recognise platy as a separate species to stonei). Stonei x glanduliferum is registered as P.Stone Praetorian.
For some reason nurseries don’t seem to recognise that name, I suspect because Yellow Tiger sounds cooler!
Chris

Very nice. Yellow Tiger is platyphyllum x glanduliferum (unless you don’t recognise platy as a separate species to stonei). Stonei x glanduliferum is registered as P.Stone Praetorian.
For some reason nurseries don’t seem to recognise that name, I suspect because Yellow Tiger sounds cooler!
Chris
I have a question. The name "platyphyllum" was being accepted in 2001. But the name "Yellow Tiger " was registered in 1984. Why in RHS Orchid Register said, it is platyphyllum x glanduliferum? I feel confused.
The clone I posted here which was imported into Taiwan before 2000, early than "platyphyllum" was issued. That time it was called "Yellow Tiger". I think same kind confusion also happened in Vanguard, Transvaal and Transdoll etc.

I think that’s a question for the RHS! Another example of the botanists retrofitting species and their hybrids, I think. I have seen more recently some nurseries in Europe selling this cross as Stone Praetorian, but most seem to prefer YT for both the stonei and platy crosses. For what it’s worth, Koopowitz advises in his Tropical Slipper Orchids book, trying to get a true YT (using platy) as he obviously considers it superior. I doubt there is little difference in the outcome of both crosses, although I have observed YTs seem to be larger & paler, SP with redder pouches.
My SPraetorian is quite red.

Attachments

• 0A4E24F1-A142-4449-BDF2-1237C3A11C09.jpeg
    0A4E24F1-A142-4449-BDF2-1237C3A11C09.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back