Paph. yapii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
story goes its a Jogjae that someone "reintroduced" into the forest so that they could go out and claim it was a new species...I think it's been discredited as a species...

i thought the story was that the dutch had colonized...i forget where...and someone made the hybrid, planted it outside in their garden. the dutch were either chased out or 'granted' independence to the country and then someone saw it and thought it was a new species.

here's a copy of an article from the canadian orchid conference: http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/recreation/orchidcongress/Ingrid/PaphJogjae.html

gotcha

i think that natural hybrids are often written as, for example, "Paph x wenshanense"

Ordinarily it would be x yappianum for a natural hybrid if it is recognized as such, but only for a plant from a natural population. If the same hybrid is later made artificially it would normally be Yappiaum.

In this case, yappianum was put forth as a species name for a plant that may have been an artifical hybrid. To be x yappianum it would have to be a real natural hybrid, and I think it would need a valid publication as such, so x yappianum may not be a valid combination. RHS has it as yappianum, though they call it a natural hybrid.

Meanwhile, Jogjae was registered for the artificial hybrid. Assuming there was not a valid publication of x yappianum for a real natural hybrid before Jogjae was registered in 1927 there is no problem with that. Oddly, RHS lists yappianum as being a synonym, but says Jogjae is not a synonym.

Last edited:
Ordinarily it would be x yappianum for a natural hybrid if it is recognized as such, but only for a plant from a natural population. If the same hybrid is later made artificially it would normally be Yappiaum.

In this case, yappianum was put forth as a species name for a plant that may have been an artifical hybrid. To be x yappianum it would have to be a real natural hybrid, and I think it would need a valid publication as such, so x yappianum may not be a valid combination. RHS has it as yappianum, though they call it a natural hybrid.

Meanwhile, Jogjae was registered for the artifiial hybrid. Assuming there was not a valid publication of x yappianum for a real natural hybrid before Jogjae was registered in 1927 there is no problem with that. Oddly, RHS lists yappianum as being a synonym, but says Jogjae is not a synonym.

thanks!

I've noticed that a lot of plant names on RHS are lumped into single species or otherwise ambiguous/ opinionated. also, how do they know if it is a natural hybrid or not?:confused:

Latest posts

Back