Paph xang-thong fma album - Paph Greyi fma. album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

DirGo

having a soft spot for albino slipper species
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another albino family member I like to introduce: Paph. xang-thong fma album / Paph. Greyi fma. album
Paph. xang-thong is the natural hybrid between Paph. godefroyae and Paph. niveum
Paph. Greyi is the the artificial hybrid between Paph. godefroyae and Paph. niveum
Considering this a cross between the two albino forms, it is more likely to be the artificial cross.

I am just very happy it decided to bloom and took a picture in the evening and one the next morning in sunlight.
x ang-thong.jpg

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Reaction score
....Paph. xang-thong is the natural hybrid between Paph. godefroyae and Paph. niveum.....
Lovely flowers, Dirk. 👍
As to the state of ang-thong .... it is controversly discussed among taxonomist. According to O.Gruss it to be a natural hybrid between P. niveum x P. bellatulum (O. Gruss) or. P. godefroyae is obsolete because the plants are homozygous in propagation. Braem described it as P. godefroyae var. ang-thong and O. Gruss is joining this sight and says it's a local variety of P. godefroyae.

Last edited:

DirGo

having a soft spot for albino slipper species
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lovely flowers, Dirk. 👍
As to the state of ang-thong .... it is controversly discussed among taxonomist. According to O.Gruss it to be a natural hybrid between P. niveum x P. bellatulum (O. Gruss) or. P. godefroyae is obsolete because the plants are homozygous in propagation. Braem described it as P. godefroyae var. ang-thong and O. Gruss is joining this sight and says it's a local variety of P. godefroyae.
Thank you Rudolf for your comments. Reviewing Kew info and Gruss' 2020 book I can find your point of view. I was using information from Guido Braem's 2016 book. Whenever touching subjects where taxonomists differ in view, you know you are on a "slippery" road. You can always expect a cold voice to answer: "Come not between the Nazgul and his prey!" (ref. Lord Of The Rings) :) so I will not take any taxonomic side and just love the flower. You are always very informational and very nice, Appreciated !

Latest posts