Paph. Wossner Stonarmi

• Thread starter Bob Wellenstein
  • Start date
Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bob Wellenstein

5081.jpg

A much larger flower than expected. Been open about ten days so I think its through any petal/sepal twisting etc. Sure was nice the first couple days when the petals were completely flat. First bloom seedling.

I did a little color correcting on it because even the background looks yellow, and the flower is still a very bright yellow -- very nice!

First, there is a yellow cast in streaks in the background, it is a cairn of sandstone rocks that had some lichen growth, which shows a bit when we've had a lot of rain (and the light is good). The flower is brighter in person than in the photo, but I try to trust the camera and not mess with color adjustments.

I really can't compare it to Dollgoldi, there are just too many differences in expectation when using stonei versus roth as a parent. I am very pleased with this result. We have sold lots of these, mostly wholesale, so this is the first we've been able to hold back to see bloom. If its size you were thinking of Stephen, its about 16 cm natural spread, larger than I would have expected.

Ross, really nothing special, it was on a parvi seedling bench so it got oyster shell top dressing but otherwise seedling temperatures and light. They are not speed demons, but also not agonizingly slow, and have bloomed pretty much on a growth or a growth and a start. This one has a growth and two starts. The capsule parent was stonei. I like it, but I like yellow fowers a lot.

Bob Wellenstein said:
First, there is a yellow cast in streaks in the background, it is a cairn of sandstone rocks that had some lichen growth, which shows a bit when we've had a lot of rain (and the light is good). The flower is brighter in person than in the photo, but I try to trust the camera and not mess with color adjustments.

When I did the color adjustment, that is exactly what happened -- the yellow is more intense and deeper, and stands away better from the background. I've been in photography too long to totally trust my camera. Whether film or digital, there are so many variables, and light's color temperature is one of them. This isn't meant to be a criticism. It's just the teacher in me.

I don't disagree with with you. There are two reasons I tend to leave the color alone (assuming I was able to shoot in diffused sunlight) unless it is way off. One is, I do not have the equipment or know how to calibrate our monitors. I look at these phoptos at different times on various types of monitors we have t the office, at home, on our laptops (we have five for reasons I do not fully know, but I bought them all) or on the two different monitors I have at work and they all look a bit different. What I really hate is when people alter their photos and supersaturate colors that are obviously phony, and then say, no that's what it really looks like :( We don't learn from that sort of thing, and are then suspicious when someone does really have something special. So I appreciate your comments, and if you can teach us how we can calibrate our monitors without expensive equipment, please do be a teacher and start a thread!

Latest posts

Back