Paph Wossner China Moon

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy

Just me!
Reaction score
This is a first bloom seedling. Paph Wossner China Moon is armeniacum x hangianum. The flower is so big it dwarfs the plant. Slightly scented of baby powder. I'm looking forward to seeing what the plant can do on the next blooming as this one is so nice for a first try.

2007_0520Image0002.JPG

NICE ONE! Where did you get it? Did it take forever to grow? Do you find it difficult? any culture tips? Oh I want one!

Very nice Wendy!! :drool: I'd love to hear your culture tips too! How big is the plant, and how big is the flower?

Thanks guys. Here's a not great picture of the plant and flower. The plant is in a 3" pot and you can see how enormous the flower is compared to the leaf span of the plant. I can do measurments tomorrow....the lights are off in the room right now.
2007_0520Image0011.jpg

As far as culture tips go....I grow this intermediate/warmish under fairly high light but on the side closest to the Metal Halide light. I got it (small compot) from a friend a little over two years ago. He got it as a flask from Antec labs. My other seedling of this cross is in sheath now as well. I noticed the sheath on this one in February and I was surprised it grew this fast. It is potted in CHC, perlite, a bit of sphagnum and charcoal and is kept moist.

WolfDog1 said:
Can we get hangianum hybrids in the US yet?

Craig

ps...NICE!!

Craig, I guess we could have, but, a lot of us missed that chance when it was sold.
Wendy mentioned her friend got it from Antec.

Thanks for the pics and notes, I have 6 of that cross with one that may flower this year. I only hope that the cross is true. I went shares in a flask that a friend bought but we have since found out that the seller is a little dodgy when it comes to correct labels. Atleast thats what has been found with his Phalies.

For those of you fortunate enough to have access to hangianum and its hybrids, any chance you could give us an idea on traits that are diagnostic in determining if a hybrid is made with hangianum vs emersonii?

-Ernie

Ernie said:
For those of you fortunate enough to have access to hangianum and its hybrids, any chance you could give us an idea on traits that are diagnostic in determining if a hybrid is made with hangianum vs emersonii?

-Ernie
I like your idea a lot. I would love to see flowers side by side of the similar crosses that used hangianum and emersonii. It will be even nicer if leaves & plants habits are also shown side by side.
(All of you already know that last year, I bought plants from California which supposed to be hangianum x rothschildianum with leaves that do not look like what we would expect from the cross at all, since a lot of you did help me w/ pictures & info)
Most plants we bought are not in flower, therefore, leaves are very important information.

To see the first photo, I really wonder if it is Wossner China Moon because it is too pale and too hangianum like, but to see the second photo, I think it is Wossner China Moon indeed. The color will be more and more yellow.

Some Wossner China Moon seems like huge armeniacum, and some seems to be bright yellow hangianum, and some seems to be between armeniacum and hangianum.
Here is one of my friend's Wossner China Moon.
DSCN2240_resize.jpg

Back